Can you ride on Autopista in south Spain?

maxima
maxima Posts: 37
edited February 2013 in Road general
Can you ride on a Autopista in south Spain (like E-15)? legal not legal? will anybody be bothered to stop? local drivers attitude?

Comments

• Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    On a bike? No way. Even if you don't get caught, I really wouldn't risk it. There's always good roads nearby you can actually ride. Just keep in mind that if you're going there in the summer, any road will have a considerable amount of traffic.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    edited February 2013
    No - as in you can not
    Yes - the police will stop you
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Definitely not and if its like the one we have here in Mallorca, you will be killed waaaaaaaay before the police get to stop you.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    I have similar question, off to Calpe in a couple of weeks - are N roads ok to cycle on? (legally and safety wise)
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    I would not recommend this in any way, and I don't know if it's actually legal, but whenever I'm in gran canaria I spot cyclists on the motorway (gc1 and gc2). Absolute lunacy as far as I'm concerned but I've never seen anyone get stopped for it.
  • Garryboy wrote:
    I have similar question, off to Calpe in a couple of weeks - are N roads ok to cycle on? (legally and safety wise)

Gary - just back from 2 weeks in Calpe. N roads definitely fine. The N332 you will literally see hundreds of cyclists out if you ride along it on a weekend for a distance. Heaps of club rides etc. It's a busy road, but drivers are 'generally' very patient, and vast majority of that road has a good bit of space for cyclists. There are probably better routes than that road, but I ended up on it quite a bit and it was fine.

E roads no-go. I am fairly certain not legal, and I wouldn't try it anyway, people hammering at a 120 speed limit, I just wouldn't be comfy with trucks going by at that speed. But again, I think not legal anyway.