Avid brake calliper disassembly?

JMcP92
JMcP92 Posts: 339
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey folks

I was gonna pull apart the brake callipers to spray them and just give them a like new look, nothing special, just a little bit of a touch up from some of the scratching.
On the side, there is a large red hex bolt which controls the piston movement in and out. To spray it I intended to remove that but when I get it all lined up it absolutely refuses to come out. It will screw in if pushed, but not out. They are monoblock callipers so you couldn't take it out by splitting them, as you can't, and it refuses to come out backwards (away from the calliper body) I'm very confused, anybody give me some enligthenment on this? Just to clarify they are Avid Juicy 7 Ultimate's.

imag0282rh.jpg

Any help is much appreciated, I'm unsure what I'm to do.

John.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is no adjuster. it seals the one piece caliper. yes it will unscrew but get new seals as you will need them. you have a bleedkit dont you as you will need it.

and painting brakes that use DOT brake fluid is a waste of time as the first time you bleed them brake fluid will get on them and start stripping the paint off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Ah, so unless it is completely disassembled and anodised it'll be useless. This is unfortunate
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    are the brakes sealed? if they are, you are trying to undo the cap against a hydraulic vacuum so it is not going to be easy - crack open the brake nipple and try unscrewing.

apparently there is brake fluid resitantt paint - you need to google it - how resistnat it is is any body's guess.