Most successful TdF bike

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
edited February 2013 in Pro race
I realize that I could be in a minority of one finding this interesting..... but I've been trying to find out which bikes carried riders to TdF victory in it's 99 additions. It's not easy for the early years and from 1930 to 1960 with the national teams there were no names on the frames (but I'm guessing some of the riders rode their usual bikes, debadged).
I started to do some research because here at Peugeot we've been saying that with 10 victories we come out on top (Peugeot is the all time most successful cycling team BTW :D ).
It seems that Peugeot are the most successful manufacturer still in existence but Alcyon, a French make, could claim 14 victories, though some are in the 'nobadge' era so that's debatable.
Also part of the same industrial group as Peugeot these days, is Gitane on 9 (pretty good line up of riders in Anquetil, Van Impe, Hinault and Fignon). They would have been on 10 if Hinault hadn't gone over to Look for his last victory.
Trek were briefly on 9 too.......... :oops:
Pinarello are on 8 (you could almost count Pereiros win, on an Opera). Unfortunately for Pinarello Indurains first victory was on a TVT.
Interestingly giants like Colnago and de Rosa have never won it officially though Merckx's own brand bikes were built by these two companies and they possibly built for others others..
Feel free to correct if I've made an error.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    First thought was Trek, but you ve covered that....

Peugot was my second wild guess...

Goes to show how little of the point if super-frames is the performance doesn't it? Oh well...think we all knew deep down.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I think the major thing we can take away is that only Contador, Sastre, Schleck and Wiggins have ever won on Shimano.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    What did Larry ride on...?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

I think if one consults the records you'll find nobody won those. Have that, fishing tackle!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I think the major thing we can take away is that only Contador, Sastre, Schleck and Wiggins have ever won on Shimano.

Schleck was using Sram in 2010. And you have forgotten Evans in 2011.
  • ddraver
    Oh god, we ve had Trev, now we ve got a groupset c0ck fight in Pro Race :roll:
    - @ddraver

Schleck was using Sram in 2010. And you have forgotten Evans in 2011.

It's still the same overall number. I thought Evans was on Campag!

@DDraver

I'm really not fussed. I just know it's guaranteed to get a stupid argument on the go.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    I'm trying to avoid stupid arguments today, i ve been doing it too much recently!

Mind you it did see Trev off so maybe that was a good thing....
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    I'm trying to avoid stupid arguments today, i ve been doing it too much recently!

You're in super feisty form at the moment. Defo in the lead for Forum Combativity prize :wink:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ddraver wrote:

You're in super feisty form at the moment. Defo in the lead for Forum Combativity prize :wink:

Yes, congratulations are in order.

...and...

On topic, those few wins show that riding Sh1tmano can't be quite the disadvantage that it would first appear ;)
  • It's still the same overall number. I thought Evans was on Campag!

I thought that you were having a pop at Armstrong. :D
  • It's still the same overall number. I thought Evans was on Campag!

I thought that you were having a pop at Armstrong. :D

The stats are the stats. I'd have put him up there until he was stripped.

@gietvangent
  • inseine
    To calm the Campag v Shimano war, more TdFs have probably been won on Simplex or the like rather than any of todays big three.. but that's a whole lot more research.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    But Peugeot didn't make bikes - Virenque rode a Litespeed rebadged. A lot of bikes would have been (and still are) just renamed.
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton wrote:
    But Peugeot didn't make bikes - Virenque rode a Litespeed rebadged. A lot of bikes would have been (and still are) just renamed.

Merckx definitely rode a Peugeot early in his career. He credits pushing Ocana past his limits in the Tour he nearly lost to him with seeing "He was on a Peugeot and they don't go downhill"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver wrote:

A tricycle I think, come to think of it not sure how he was so good with such inferior bike geometry .......... oh then again I think I get it now!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mrushton wrote:
    Virenque rode a Litespeed rebadged.

I thought we were talking about TdF winners? :wink:
  • inseine

Peugeot did and do make bikes. Some of the team leaders occassionally rode rebadged bikes it's true, but in the era they were winning the Tour I'm fairly sure they were all factory bikes.
  • A very good book, Bike!: A Tribute to the World's Greatest Cycling Designers covers this topic.

It lists Peugeot as the most successful with 10 victories followed by Gitane with 9. Trek has recently slumped down the list from 9 victories to 2.
  • inseine
    A very good book, Bike!: A Tribute to the World's Greatest Cycling Designers covers this topic.

Thanks for the tip, I really must get that book. It's not easy to find info on th early bikes.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    inseine wrote:
    A very good book, Bike!: A Tribute to the World's Greatest Cycling Designers covers this topic.

Thanks for the tip, I really must get that book. It's not easy to find info on th early bikes.

Yep - it's a real good trainspotter's book. Lists wins by components too (pre LA shitstorm and 2012 wiggowin)

Camapag 38
    Simplex 11
    Shimano 9
    Huret 3
    Osgear/Super Champion 2
    SRAM 2
    Vittoria Mragherita 1
    Mavic 1

Spot the pizza crap in the list above.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712

It lists Peugeot as the most successful with 10 victories followed by Gitane with 9. Trek has recently slumped down the list from 9 victories to 2.

ouch!!!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I was thinking you meant the actual model which pre Lance-gate would have been the Madone (I think) (Albeit in different versions)