You Know You're an MTBer When....

oxocube1
oxocube1 Posts: 651
edited March 2013 in MTB general
You look at every bike you drive/ride past and quickly examine the spec on it.

You hate being called a 'Cyclist'.

You have loads of spare 'bike bits' in the garage that you will sell on the internet....one day.

Any money in your Paypal account is from/for second hand bike parts.

You have BikeRadar/PinkBike/CRC/MerlinCycles/WinstanleysBikes/JeJamesCycles etc. bookmarked in your web browser.

You go on those websites daily to watch videos, read forum posts, and check for offers.

You think of money in terms of bike parts i.e. I have £60 spare, that's a new SLX shadow+ rear mech!

Your pile of MBUK Mags grows taller each month.

You have countless MTB stickers.

You've developed rough patches of skin on your hands from gripping your bars for hours at a time.

Even though you tell everyone else not to do it, you jetwash your bike occasionally because you are too lazy to do it with a hose.

Add more as you see fit!

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    You have as much riding kit as normal clothes (especially shoes)

When you move house, the number 1 priority in your new flat/house is bike storage
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Spending more time on the road driving to destinations than you do actually riding the trail is seen as an acceptable way to spend your spare time.
  • You stop washing your trail clothes after every ride because "they will get dirty again tomorrow".

Or is that just me? :oops:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    You know you're an MTBer when you ride a MTB and refer to yourself as such.
  • ddraver
    Plyphon wrote:
    You know you're an MTBer when you ride a MTB and refer to yourself as such.
    Wow, you must be such fun at parties :roll:
    - @ddraver
  • When your Missus tells you you only ever talk about your bike and yesterday's ride - and you tell her she's exaggerating when you know she's right.

When the weather makes conidtions un-rideable for a night ride but you are still giving it the opportunity to improve 10 minutes before your group ride is supposed to start - and you know no one else is going.

When on the way to work you drive past the hills which contain your favourite trails and wish you had the day off.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    When getting cold, wet, covered in shit and scratches counts as a good day out.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    When nature becomes an obstacle
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    When you are worryingly all of the above :oops:
  • ddraver
    edited January 2013
    People just stop bothering to ask where that/those scars came from every monday morning

You drive along country roads using the best line for an MTB, even if that's nothing close to the best line for a car

You go to a bike shop every weekend, even if your in the depths of Siberia, that bike shop is 99% a Cross Country Ski shop and only has 2 Cheap as chips Merida bikes in it ( :oops: )
    - @ddraver
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    When you have to remove the 20kg of mud which is blocking your shower-drain... accumulated from a year or more of post-ride still-in-all-your-gear-including-shoes showers.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    you get caught by a bunch of walkers p*ssing on your bike to try and defrost the block of ice that has become your rear mech after a few wintery puddles and zub zero down hills
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You have boxes of shiny things delivered to the office, not to bypass the missus of course - just for convenience.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    You have been knocked out by a blow from the saddle to the danglers.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    The most expensive set of shoes you own have SPD cleats on the bottom.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    raldat wrote:

nope.

has 5:10 stealth rubber on the bottom.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ddraver
    nicklouse wrote:
    raldat wrote:

nope.

has 5:10 stealth rubber on the bottom.

Gonna say this forum needs a "like Button" cos that one really struck home! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • You spend far too much time at work staring at shift patterns trying to figure out how often you can get a day trip out riding in
  • you realize it never gets any easier
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Sadly I agree with all of the above, which i'm not sure are a particularly feminine set of traits to have :oops:

In my case, I can add; When your best mates excitedly tells you about a lovely pair of shoes she got in the sales, and I chip in about my new fabulous AND discounted mud tyre..... :|
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    miss notax wrote:
    Sadly I agree with all of the above, which i'm not sure are a particularly feminine set of traits to have :oops:

Especially the bit about a saddle to the danglies :shock:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    :lol::lol::lol: - ok, apart from that bit then!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    ddraver wrote:
    You drive along country roads using the best line for an MTB, even if that's nothing close to the best line for a car

Hehe now this I cannot deny!
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    When it affects your job because your planning your meetings on rainy days around your weekly riding :lol::lol:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    When you check whether your bike fits in the car before buying a new motor.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • When you convert the dining area into a warm bike storage area!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    When your misses offers you some in a morning and you refuse as you must go out on the bike :p
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    ...you find yourself subconsciously trying to pump the car over small raises in the road on the way back from a ride.
  • ddraver
    anj132 wrote:
    ...you find yourself subconsciously trying to pump the car over small raises in the road on the way back from a ride.

Ha Hah! Yep, done that one!
    - @ddraver
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    stubs wrote:
    When you check whether your bike fits in the car before buying a new motor.

Spot on!

and looking at weather forecasts every Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday / Friday for the weekend to work out where's best to ride
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA