Replacing granny ring

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Getting chain suck when in the granny ring after having a new chain fitted, although everything runs fine in the big ring.
Thought I'd replace the granny ring, is it just a case of unbolting the old one and bolting on the new one, or is it more complicated than that?

I have Truvativ X7 cranks, 39/26 chain rings, 2x10, SRAM BB.

Comments

• In essence, yes, it's that simple, however you need to remove the drive side crank to get to the granny ring.

I'm not familiar with those cranks, are they external bearing? I'm guessing they are, there'll be a fairly obvious way to unbolt the non-drive crank, then tap the axle to knock the axle and drive side loose.

Alaric.
  • Yeah, I've had the crankset off plenty times before, that's nice and easy, just a big Allen key bolt in the non-drive side. I'm planning on getting it changed at the weekend and, without looking at it right now, just wondered what problems I might encounter. With my track record at maintenance, it'll go t!ts up :roll:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Before you remove the ring have a look at all th rings behind the crank arm. You will see a marking or a bump on each one. These will all be aligned. The new ring should be so aligned.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown