Superstar components - Elite 30 Wheelset

Strith
Strith Posts: 541
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Anyone had any experience of these. Particulary if anyone might have any ideas what the rims are?
They seem to claim they are pretty lightweight, but claim the same weight for the same weight for the shallower 24 depth wheelset also, which doesn't seem right.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... d3au2e7qo7

Comments

• Kinlin 30 mm rims... They are fairly light, 460 grams each... They are OK if you don't do many miles and if you are on the light side.
    The hubs are the cheapest money can buy in China, OK for the dry, but a couple of very wet rides will claim your bearings...
    For the money, they are not a bad set of wheels, they can even be serviced...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Strith
    Kinlin 30 mm rims... They are fairly light, 460 grams each... They are OK if you don't do many miles and if you are on the light side.
    The hubs are the cheapest money can buy in China, OK for the dry, but a couple of very wet rides will claim your bearings...
    For the money, they are not a bad set of wheels, they can even be serviced...

Thanks, I suspected they were something like kinlins. Not fussed on the cheap generic hubs.

Do you build anything similar? I'm after something mainly for crits. My preference would be light rims, decent hubs (dont care about hub weight), and and as few spokes as are sensible. I'm 79kg. Feel free to pm when you have a moment.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    465g when I weighed them. There is no other 30mm deep rim that is as light.
    Rim weights for your pondering.
    Velocity A23 20mm deep 23mm wide ~445-450g - a good rim quite stiff
    H+ sons Archetype 25mm deep 23mm wide ~480g one of the best rims about
    DT Swiss RR585 30mm deep 19mm wide 585g but very stiff and a very good rim
    Velocity deep V 30mm deep 19mm wide 520g. I think this is a good one to go for if you want 30mm deep and lowish weight. I know ugo does velocity rims so you should not have problems there.
    For hubs you will need to decide a buget as you can spend from £70 for decent hubs. 7800DA hubs are not too exepnsive and stocks are still available in 24H and 28H drillings which is all you will need for your weight.

The kinlins get there low weight froma thin braking surface. If you want low weight 30mm deep rim I can;t think of another that meets those criteria. Yuo get the kinlins built up with decent hubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Strith
    Thanks for the info, useful for future reference. I'm gonna get ugo to build me something as he's local too.