So close to buying a bike! The shortlist...

willspilsbury
willspilsbury Posts: 10
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Okay, I've been out to several shops (Halfords, Brian Rourke's in Burslem and Roy Swinnerton's in Fenton).

I've found out that a frame size of 18"/19" is absolutely great (but 17" is better for more trail stuff as it's more flexible - I can simply higher the saddle for non-trail stuff).

I LOVE 29ers, such great big wheels. But not sure whether to go for a 29er or just stick to a 26er.

I definitely want hydraulic disc brakes - so much stopping power!

I definitely want front forks u can lock-off, so I can easily switch from 'road mode' to 'off-road mode'.

The shortlist...

Whyte 529 (£799.99 - would have to be bought next month - over budget but very nice) (Brian Rourkes)

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2013 (£500) (Brian Rourkes)

Marin 29er Mountain HT (£499.99)

Marin 26er (£499.99)

Voodoo Hoodo (£449.99) (Halfords)

Carerra Vulcan (£379.99) (Halfords)

Carrera Kraken (£449.99) (Halfords)

--

The Llandegla Forest Trail (North Wales) is as intense a surface as I will be riding on. It'll also have to cope with tow-paths and country lanes. lol

So what do you people with all your knowledge and experience and expertise think I should go for?

(I didn't see any Decathlons) (But the budget is now £500 - or £800 if I wait another month)

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• PS: Have bought 'Mountain Biking UK' and 'What Mountain Bike' also...
  • mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    White would be a good choice. Fork on spec hardrock isn't great I brought my daughter one but it's a good bike, I think you'd benefit waiting a month and getting the why're. I have the 629 and love it. I expect the 529 is also a good bike and it looks good.
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs
  • mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    Ignore the spelling it's the dreaded predicted text.
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    With that sort of money, I would look for S/H (possibly on here) 26" HT on here.

You could possibly pick up something with a RS Reba and decent brakes. The S/H market is flooeded with 18" size bikes, well whenever I seem to look!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you have £800, spend it ;-). Saying that, the spec on the Whyte is catatstrophically bad for a £800 bike. Unless you have tried it and it rides wll for you, I would avoid it.

A quick look at Paul's cycles brings this up:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b1s2p2476
  • supersonic wrote:
    If you have £800, spend it ;-). Saying that, the spec on the Whyte is catatstrophically bad for a £800 bike. Unless you have tried it and it rides wll for you, I would avoid it.

Surprising you chose a Zaskar SS.

If you can fit a small frame the cube ltd race is a bargain from pauls.

If you can spend £800 then do it but go for older models as you will get more vfm ( the zaskar is nice btw but i prefer the duster hi).
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    Id get a boardman, either a comp hardtail or a team fs full suss. You can get the comp hardtail new for £750 and 2nd hand for £450. The fs normally sells for a about £750 2nd hand....

Edit found this, would this fit you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRIS-BOARDMA ... 2a28a35eff
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Supersonic's suggestion looks ace to me.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    supersonic wrote:

Surprising you chose a Zaskar SS.

If you can fit a small frame the cube ltd race is a bargain from pauls.

If you can spend £800 then do it but go for older models as you will get more vfm ( the zaskar is nice btw but i prefer the duster hi).

It is, I rarely recommend them. But at this price is a bargain.
  • i have the boardman HT Pro, i would say get a boardman HT team or pro OR go for the voodoo from halfords.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    You won't go far wrong if you do end up spending your money at Halfords in the end they are all pretty good value, they have that online spend and save on at the minute
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are assembled in Asia. Halfords don't make bikes. Large volume, low margins.
    Simple innit?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • riche0
    riche0 Posts: 26
    Have you looked at On One just to confuse you more, their complete bikes Inbred 26 and 29er are both £799.
  • cooldad wrote:
    They are assembled in Asia. Halfords don't make bikes. Large volume, low margins.
    Simple innit?

I read this as they are assembled in Asda. This would explain a lot if it were true.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092

I read this as they are assembled in Asda. This would explain a lot if it were true.

Love my vulcan, and cost 290 quid.

Think its down the pet food aisle ...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    On One Inbred 29er for £799.

Regardless of you liking the aesthetics of the wheel size, from your description of the riding you will be doing they should be excellent.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Whyte 529 is a great bike for the money but I started on a hard rock sport, I still run the frame but everything else is has been upgraded over time,this is a good way of keeping cost low. Start with a decent quality frame gives you options then. Whyte do make nice bikes though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But the Carrera and Voodoo frames are just as good (made in the same factory as well) and come on a better specced and cheaper bike, avoid the Lardrock like the plague.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.