Keeping Assos jacket clean

ajb72
ajb72 Posts: 1,178
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi chaps. Looking for some advice from Assos garment owners - in particular the Climaschutz or Luftschutz jackets.

I am keen to purchase one in white - love the fit and look of them and the visibility of white compared to black option. My only concern is how badly the jacket could mark up in British weather and how easy is it to clean the garment? I use mudguards so winter cack has not been an issue, but there are bound to be days when another rider will spray me with Belgian mouthwash, or I'll get caught in a shower with no mud guards fitted etc.

So - how clean do these come up when treated as per Assos instructions, or do you have a secret method for getting the grime out?

Cheers.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Well I could tell you but I don't have an assoss jacket so....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ajb72
    thanks, incredibly helpful! :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-active-wear-cleanser/

i use it on all my cycling clothing (mostly castelli, but it still works :-) ), i've got a white jacket that's done three winters and it still looks good

use it in cold water, warm/hot water can set stains into fabric

it won't take out serious chain grease etc., you need a grease remover for that, the small aerosol cans of dr beckmann stain slayer are quite good, but it depends on the exact stain/fabric
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ajb72
    sungod wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-active-wear-cleanser/

i use it on all my cycling clothing (mostly castelli, but it still works :-) ), i've got a white jacket that's done three winters and it still looks good

use it in cold water, warm/hot water can set stains into fabric

it won't take out serious chain grease etc., you need a grease remover for that, the small aerosol cans of dr beckmann stain slayer are quite good, but it depends on the exact stain/fabric

Cheers sungod, that is really helpful - it did not occur to me to wash in cold water.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yes, the active wear cleanser is pretty good, use the little assos bag also, keep it separate from other clothes when in washine machine, should be fine. Assos pretty good quality for most of the stuff they do ...
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Aren't these waterproof shells? If so, dirt would just wipe off, surely?
  • ajb72
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Aren't these waterproof shells? If so, dirt would just wipe off, surely?

Sadly not! These are water resistant jackets not waterproof, so will only hold off a shower. After that they will let water through. I would imagine any jacket that is genuinely wipe clean would be one sweaty garment, as it would have zero breathability and be nonporous.

The reason I asked the question is that some jackets are easier to live with than others. I previously owned a Rapha rain jacket in the cream colour. After one biblical weather ride the back was filthy with road grime and even after several washes, the grime would not come out of the hem and tail, leaving a permanent stain. I ended up sending it back to Rapha for a swap on the basis it wasn't fit for purpose.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    I have three soft shell jackets supposedly all water resistant.
    The first is a Sugoi Zero, wore on one club spin the white panels were destroyed. Washed on a low temp wash in washing machine, panels went grey and it lost its waterproof ability.
    The second is a Nalini, I have only washed it in cold water and it remains white although stains are hard to remove. Water does not bead on it anymore after two cold hand washes.
    The third is a specialized and I have worn it three times but have yet to wash it.

My experience would be firstly not to buy white unless you plan on riding with full guards on your own. Secondly only wash in cold water and lastly get ready to accept the waterproofing will not last long. Lastly try and wash these jackets as seldom as possible, another reason for not buying white.

Btw I bought a Gore Goretex jacket for rainy days.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    ajb72 wrote:
    Sadly not! These are water resistant jackets not waterproof, so will only hold off a shower. After that they will let water through. I would imagine any jacket that is genuinely wipe clean would be one sweaty garment, as it would have zero breathability and be nonporous.

Assos describe them as shells? They say don't wear them during long periods of high intensity exercise because they will become boil in the bag. Best just for light showers and descents.

http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduc ... 8&prod=382
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    ddraver wrote:

Yes I know what you mean. Perhaps the question should have been about jaket cleaning without the need to quote Assos.

I am sure non Assos brands also need cleaning. :P
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH Posts: 78
    I have two soft shell jackets, a Gore Phantom and an Assos iJ.HaBu5 (what is it with these names?). I know you are supposed to wash these things as little as possible but I find that the problem is that if you wear them with only a base layer your sweat gets wicked straight from the base layer onto the jacket. The idea of taking off a sweaty piece of cycling kit and not washing it is not that appealing.
  • ajb72
    smidsy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Yes I know what you mean. Perhaps the question should have been about jaket cleaning without the need to quote Assos.

I am sure non Assos brands also need cleaning. :P

But if it had been a generic question about cleaning cycle clothing I would not have needed to add a post to the forum - I have plenty of experience washing my current kit, thanks. The question was aimed at very specific garments if you read the post, not even a vague Assos question. I wanted to know how the specific fabric involved cleaned up, as not all fabric washes as well as others.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It's not some Assos only material though is it, same as any other shell of that type.

Anyway seems noone has anything useful to say so we will just leave ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • JoetteIvey
    JoetteIvey Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I have never washed my assos jacket in washing machine. I always washed it with mild detergent and dry it in shade. It still looks new after 1 year of regular use.
    plus size fashion
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want colour-fast fabrics that resist staining / clean-up well, suggest you go for something made with a Gore-branded fabrics. I know a fair few people who bought expensive Assos jackets with white panels that went dirty grey after 1 ride/wash. I have an original Castelli Espresso jacket made from Gore windstopper with white panels that is 5 years old - there have been occassions where it has come back so filthy that I have resigned to binning it after a ride and been amazed that it comes up gleaming.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Aren't these just the latest variant on the older 'climaJet' jackets? I bought one of these as it was supposedly made of some high-tech fabric that worked like a more modern version of ventile, being highly breathable and becoming waterproof when wet as a result of the fibers swelling. I reality it leaked like a sieve, not even having taped seams, and was very sweaty to ride in when it wasn't raining. Basically, it managed to combine the worst features of both wind stopper and waterproof shell jackets without having any of the positive ones. It also went an odd faint yellowish colour, soaked up water when wet and the stitching cut into the fabric. I binned it and bought a Gore Bike Wear paclight Gortex jacket which I am still using 8 years later. It is genuinely waterproof and is much less sweaty than the Assos one was.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.