Cannondale SuperSix Sizing

iandennis
iandennis Posts: 238
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Having done some more research I've decided to buy a Supersix Apex. However can't find one locally but have found a 54 and a 56 via a northern bike shop. Price is good and available immediately.

I'm a 56 on both my secteur and tricross. The tricross is closest at 560mm x560mm but 170mm headtube compared with the cannondale 160.

How much trust can i place in the measurements for the dale at 560mmx560mm? I'm 5"10' with a 31 inseam. There won't be a lot of seatpost showing on the 56 but the 54TT is only 545 which might be too small.

Is the CAAD 10 same geometry as I might be able to find one of those to try before placing the order.

thanks

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Yes, the CAAD is the same geo.

They are racing bikes (so position not as upright) so headtube likely to be smaller than your secteurs.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    IMHO you should fit both, the 54 should be a more aggressive position - large drop from saddle to bars. I am about the same dimensions and fitted fairly well on both.
  • iandennis
    letap73 - thanks - which size did you buy ?

I'm not super flexy so thinking 56cm might be a better option
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I went for a 60cm instead of a 63cm because I wanted a more racy position. If your body can't take it take the bigger one :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • iandennis
    Thanks

I think the 56cm is going to be a better bet
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    iandennis wrote:
    letap73 - thanks - which size did you buy ?

I'm not super flexy so thinking 56cm might be a better option

I would try them both out - the 56 fitted very well, I got the 54 - absolute bargain price, it is a little more difficult to get the ideal fit but very possible.
  • I have a 56 with 31.5 inseam, also not very flexible, plenty of seatpost still showing.
  • I am 6'0" and 32- 33 inside leg. I have a 56cm which is spot on for a racey yet comfortable position so I'd suggest a 54cm would be the better option for you, although I'm sure you could get away with the 56cm.

Mick
  • AFF40N
    AFF40N Posts: 33
    I went for the 54
    At 5'9" with a 30" inseam the 54 was the better fit
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 982
    I tried the 54 and the 56cm and in the end on the recommendation of all the guys at the LBS i bought the 54cm. i needed a slightly longer stem to get the position spot on.
    BTW im 5'10" with a 30" inseam
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I would have thought 54 ...but as Letap states try em both.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • iandennis
    Specialized measurement sucks :(

Been out and measured all 4 of my bikes with a tape measure from the middle of the headtube to the middle of the seatube:

Hardrock - 540mm top tube - centre to centre
    Secteur - 545mm top tube - centre to centre
    Tricross - 545mm top tube - centre to centre
    Raleigh exodus museum piece - 550mm centre to centre

So specialized calling these 56cm bikes is completely out. Now I may be a mm or two out but no way is the top tube on the secteur 565mm unless its measured by the wizard merlin!

I'll be trying both the 54 and the 56 on the dale.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You have just learned a valuable lesson....no two manufacturers quote or measure the same way (not even in their own ranges) so you need to know what top tube and seat tube measurments work for you, and check them against the bike frame you are considering.

Cannondale are more traditional type frames, so when they say a 54 or 56 at least one of the tubes actually measures that, unlike others who quote a 'virtual' figure...WTF!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • As an update, I tested both the 54 and the 56cm.

The 56cm was too big, too long in the top tube and too long in the seat tube as I seem to have short legs. The 54cm was much better, good position on the hoods and generally not as uncomfortable as I thought a race bike would be, despite the head tube only being 140mm.

So i've ordered the 54 :oops:

Should be here end of next week and then I can get it set up, my only potential problems are the amount of setback on the seatpost and the flexibility needed for the racier position. I run a 32mm setback post on my sectuer (have long femurs but don't use all the setback) the setback on the cannondale is 25mm but i'm hoping that will be enough given the slighly different geometry.

I'm keeping the sectuer for long distance stuff for the time being and the dale will just be for shorter trips until i get used to the revised position. I'm mid 40's but reasonably fit and flexible so hopefully this shouldn't take too long.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I was going to suggest the 54cm. I'm 5' 9" with proportionately long legs, and my Rourke is based on the 54cm Cannondale frame (54.5cm top tube) although the head tube is probably longer to give less drop to the bars. The 56cm would be too much of a stretch.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava