Windows 8?

2»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Team4Luke wrote:
    isn't W8 designed more for all the touchy feely devices and not for desktops/lap tops ?
    Nah, it's fine. It's just a slightly faster Windows 7 with a weird start menu. All the rest of the good and bad points about Windows pretty much remain as they were.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My IT guru, says don't bother with Windows 8 unless you got a touch screen, Win 7 is better otherwise.... Not had much expierience myself
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    If all you want is internet related stuff then why not get a laptop with Google Chrome os. A hell of a lot cheaper than a laptop with a full blown os, and safer too - no need for anti-virus etc. as it is all in the cloud. It will probably cost about the same as a solid state drive.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    alidaf wrote:
    If all you want is internet related stuff then why not get a laptop with Google Chrome os. A hell of a lot cheaper than a laptop with a full blown os, and safer too - no need for anti-virus etc. as it is all in the cloud. It will probably cost about the same as a solid state drive.
    What, 30 quid? 60GB disks are pretty cheap now, and if it's only browsing then you've no need to get a half a terabyte SSD
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I did a fresh install to a 250GB SSD (see previous posts on getting stuck with Win 8 preview), I'm at ~50% and I haven't dragged my steam folder across.

As a professional tech guru 120GB is the least I'd recommend unless your really good at organising your files or have a secondary drive for photos and videos.

For ease of use I'm not sure where Windows 8 sits. Now I've learned all the hot-keys everything is quicker than Windows 7 or Vista but for a non techie with decent experience as a PC user it will feel unfamiliar and posibly daunting.

It's hard to compare to the old OSes as slowness creeps in like sludge on a chain and even an upgrade install of Win 8 or 7 will clear this off and pep it up, but then a bit of TLC can do the same for no money and a bit of time cleaning out the crapware and other chaff that bogs PCs down.

But what do I know, I spent most of yesterday benchmarking top tier single and dual GPU graphics cards on the latest version of 3DMark and today fighting with a GTX670MX-SLi laptop that wouldn't play nice. I have very high standards of PC performance because most of the systems I work on are new, fresh high performance or gaming systems brimming with the latest tech. To me a recommending a Chromebook is like telling someone to buy a BSO from Tesco or Argos.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The parents don't have many files. Well at least mother doesn't. The only file she has on her laptop is a word document where she keeps note of the books she's read. Father does have a few CDs worth of music though.

And there isn't too much crapware either (except what toshiba install by default) although I really ought to have a dig around to make sure they haven't inadvertently installed anything dodgy. I just cant really be bothered :p

I've tried suggesting to mother she get a tablet as really that's all she needs. But she just dismisses the idea :/
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    A pro tech guru you say ....120Gb for disorganised general tat you say ....

Chromebook = BSO you say .....

You young-uns will never learn, unless you've lugged a hard drive the size a family suitcase but smaller than 512Kb of capacity through foreign customs (German) you dont know you're born.

120Gb FFS :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    dhope wrote:
    What, 30 quid? 60GB disks are pretty cheap now, and if it's only browsing then you've no need to get a half a terabyte SSD

Oh...been a while. Going to have to beat up my buyer for not telling me this!