Avid BB7 disk brake problem

Ramanujan
Ramanujan Posts: 352
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a slight problem with my Avid BB7 road disk brakes.
This is the first time I’ve had disk brakes so I’m not that familiar with how they should feel compared to rim brakes. Before I start I should say that I’ve had these brakes a week now and the pads have been properly bedded in. I’ve also consulted several sources on how to set the brakes up (including Avid’s .pdf file) and I’m confident that I’ve set them up correctly.
The problem I’m experiencing is that when I’m applying the brakes, it feels like the pads are biting the rotor more positively in some places on the rotor than others. In other words, when I grab a handful of brake it feels slightly juddery and not smooth and consistent like my rim brakes used to. I often feather the brakes on long downhills to just scrub off some speed and it feels like the brakes bite strongly for a second and then less strongly for a second and so on. The same happens when you want to stop quickly and grab more brake: only it’s more pronounced.
I’ve tried cleaning the rotors with disk cleaner and I’m pretty confident that the rotors are true. I’m at a loss to figure out what it might be. I haven’t actually inspected the pads yet, so maybe this should be my next step.
Can anyone throw any light on this problem?
Many thanks,
R

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    front or rear? If front then it is probably fork judder. Check your headset bearings and front cones.

Check the rotor is true, centered correctly and the bolts are tight.

Is the pad contacting the arms of the rotor or are they squarely on the braking track? If you have the caliper too close to the hub then as the arm comes though the pad you get more braking leading to a fluttery effect. This can be remedied by spacing the caliper out a little further.
  • Ramanujan
    Hi,

It's on both front and rear brakes.
    I've already checked headset and cones and both are fine. The bike is new.
    As I said, the rotor looks true but it's hard to tell if it might be a tiny bit out.
    Also the pads are square on the rotor.
    So am I right in assuming that this fluttery, juddery braking is not normal for disk brakes?

thanks
    R
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds normal for new brakes.

as the pads move over the holes in the disc things change.

does it change with wheel speed?

also as the discs are ground there is a direction to the grind. this can also some times be felt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ramanujan
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds normal for new brakes.

as the pads move over the holes in the disc things change.

does it change with wheel speed?

Yes.
    At higher speeds it's less noticeable. But at low speeds it's rather pronounced.

cheers
    R
  • I had BB7s on an old Marin HT, never noticed anything like that. Check your cable inners are operating smoothly. What sort of bike are they on?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Ramanujan
    It's an On One pompetamine.
    As I said, it's a week old so it's unlikely to be the cables. They all seem smooth.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It wouldn't be cables anyway, interface between disc and pad, more bedding in, try and some good hard stops from circa 20mph, AFTER centering the caliper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ramanujan
    It wouldn't be cables anyway, interface between disc and pad, more bedding in, try and some good hard stops from circa 20mph, AFTER centering the caliper.
    Hi,
    I've already done around 100 miles on the bike over the last weeks commuting, including several high speed stops. I would have thought the pads would have bedded in by now, but I could be wrong.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just use the bike it will sort its self out.

it is normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown