Crank Bros Iodine 15mm Adaptor

grubby
grubby Posts: 214
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
All,
I am having difficulty fitting the 15mm adaptors to my 20mm front wheel. I have tried a bit of grease inside the adaptor but just cannot get them to go on. Any hints or tips to get them to go on? Maybe a trip to the LBS to press on in a vice?
Thanks.

Comments

• Assuming they're metal, you could try leaving them in the freezer over night.

Some kind of press is your best bet though. Some threaded bar a couple of nuts & a couple of large washers should work.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    I did this on a pair of Cobalt wheels and it was pretty easy. I had to tap out the 9 mm Q/R hub, which takes out the bearing on one side since they are pressed onto the hollow spindle. The 15 end piece fits into the bearing, the hollow spindle fits inside the hube obver the end piece and the bearing on the other side pressed in, finally pressing on the end pice.

I suspect your wheels are similar - are you sure you have the correct kit? When I was looking for the kit, there are 2 variants for the Cobalt wheels, or 2 different part numbers were list.

Are your bearing pressed in square? If you have one of the bearings out, then have you tried fitting it over the end piece? ~The should go on easily.
  • grubby
    grubby Posts: 214
    The 15mm adaptors came with the wheels that were standard 20mm. I've taken it Into the LBS and they sorted them for me. Needed to be pressed square and it was hard to do that at home without any tools.
    Thanks for the replies.