Shoe Shopping

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
After a morning crashing through icy puddles, and my shoes drinking the water in like a sponge, Ive been forced to admit defeat. My toes felt like they were going to fall off! :shock:

Im going to get myself something a little more water resistant. Doesn't have to be waterproof as such, but current shoes (http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... uctID=7978) are very absorbent. Ideally something for all year use, I'd rather add warmth with overshoes when it gets really bitter, but its mostly the wet feet thats killing me. Even with SealSkinz Im not staying dry, with the amount of water coming in and staying in my current shoes. They take several days to dry out after a ride, even in the house.

Id considered the Shimano XC50N (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom) but they might be a bit toasty in summer? Most other proper mtb shoes have quite a lot of venting in them, but look to be made from a non-absorbent material. Whilst not waterproof, they atleast look like they shouldn't hold and absorb water.

Any recommendations, anyone tried/use the xc50n shoes all year round?

Thanks chaps

Comments

• Just make sure you try the shoes on before you buy them, regardless. Specialized bg shoes are much wider in comparison to Shimano. If you have a wide foot, like i do, you may find the Shimano very very narrow. Those Shimano you showed look like they would be horrendously hot to me. If i were you id look for something that uses goretex.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sealskinz Thermal socks and don't worry about the shoes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • zbiegu
    zbiegu Posts: 42
    Hi, before spending cash on new shoes, give those a try. I have them for 6 months and unless I stand in the puddle, nothing can make my shoes wet:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45051
    Ladies and Gentlemen please take my advice,
    drop down your pants and slide on the ice.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Sealskinz Thermal socks and don't worry about the shoes.

Aye, that's what I do.

Can you wash the sealskinz? I'm scared to in case you loose the effectiveness. They're now brown,.... but still waterproof!!!! One of the best purchases I've made.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    You can wash Sealskinz just low temp and let them drip dry not tumbled. Very glad I bought mine, my shoes are not quite water tight but Sealskinz save the day everytime.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wash mine inside out, as I guess that's where the smell would be. And dry them inside out as well. Or they just stay wet inside if you do them right side out.
    The outsides don't always get properly clean but they're just going to get muddy again.
    I just stick them in the machine with the rest of my kit. On number 3. I do everything on number 3.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    I picked up some of the Endura mtb specific overshoes from the bikeshop as I was on the way home today. Hopefully they will make a difference in the really cold rides, but I dont want to have to wear them for the waterproofing on wet + warmer rides.

I have a pair of seakskinz, not thermal though. I put a pair of my normal mtb socks underneath, and after today shoes, sealskinz, socks and feet were all completely soaked through. My sealskinz are probably knackered then, they seem to work well with spray etc but not a really good soaking.

Would still be interested in some shoes that don't soak up so much water, although I probably did a service at Pines today by bringing most the puddles back home with me.

Thanks for the help so far!
  • merino socks might be another way to go. Wool has the uncanny ability to keep 70% of it's insulating properties when wet.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy