Tower of Hats (Kask content!)

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Here is my tower of hats. I couldn't resist the CRC price drop on the Kask K50 despite not having yet got the tags off my Mojito which I bought to replace the crash damaged one. Also present is my trusty Giro Havoc which needs new pads but is otherwise fine (though that pic did make me think it needed a bit of a cleanup - which it got!)
P1120530_zps1a0b80bd.jpg

The K50 was, according to the pic, meant to be black with a bit of red and white. But then it was described as carbon. But then they had an image of a carbon lid on another listing so obviously they would have used the right image, given they had it, wouldn't they? A bit naughty of them perhaps but, despite the slightly dodgy fake cf (please note, there should be laws against fake cf weave printing. It is never a good look :wink: ) it's basically a pretty neutral looking lid that will go with anything and, tbh, it was far too nice for the money to return. It will take over from the Havoc for commuting leaving that lid to be the MTB helmet it was always supposed to be.

Only 260g - 40g heavier than a Mojito but still light. If you are thinking of getting a Kask lid and can't decide whether to go for a K50 or Mojito (you really dont need a Vertigo), given the retail of a K50 is £80 and the Mojito £120 though you can find them for £100 (and K50s obviously, sometimes for less than £40!) then this is how they are.

The basic hole in which you stick your head seems to be much the same for both lids. The strap and fastening system is identical (except my K50 has full fabric rather than the leathery stuff for the chin strap you get on a Mojito). The main practical difference is that the Mojito has better pads - but that probably makes more of a difference if you have no hair like me. It's not a big difference either - mostly noticeable in comparison but both are very comfortable.
P1120531_zpsff8023c4.jpg

You can see how the K50 is heavier - the leading edge is deeper than on the K50 and, at the back, where the Mojito follows the curve of your noggin, the K50 angles backwards. TBH, the combination of this shape and the carbon effect makes it look a bit like the head of an Alien but never mind.
P1120532_zpsd6407a18.jpg

Either are good and you probably won't know the difference when they are on your head! It's mainly down to whether the weight and slight comfort gains of the Mojito are worth it for you.
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Got a k50 evo over Xmas as my first road helmet. Got its debut outing today. Very comfy and super light. Maybe this helmet wearing lark ain't so bad after all!

Nice tower btw.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    MrSweary wrote:
    Nice tower btw.

Yeah, someone should tell Valve! I need to uncrate one of those bad boys NAOW! It's even more hatty than my vintage Noble Amassment of Hats! http://www.tf2items.com/item/71924723
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I bought a K50 from CRC too, well nice lid.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Is this like a 'Razzle Stack' for cyclists?

**Look up 'Razzle Stack' at home, not at work. :shock:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Agent57 wrote:
    Yeah, someone should tell Valve! I need to uncrate one of those bad boys NAOW! It's even more hatty than my vintage Noble Amassment of Hats! http://www.tf2items.com/item/71924723

Ohhh, I like the vintage noble amassment of Hats!
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Is this like a 'Razzle Stack' for cyclists?

**Look up 'Razzle Stack' at home, not at work. :shock:

Ha! Google image search provides no satisfactory results :evil:
    Faster than a tent.......