Replacement Frame (and Forks?)

SXJ
SXJ Posts: 17
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I have a Cube Cross 2011 (http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Cross-2011 ... _39715.htm). I bought the bike to handle commuting and some gentle off road paths (Thames Path). Despite the relatively high spec, front shock and its responsiveness, I really dislike the ride. The frame is ultra rigid and delivers chatter and vibrations from the rear wheel that provide numb hands and painfull groin. I've tried different seats, heights, stems, tyre pressure but there is no escaping the rock solid rigidity of the frame. And I want to escape.

For a road bike it would be easy but due to the shock and geometery I'm not sure what MTB frame (and I'm no lover the fork either) would make a good replacement. T

Any suggestions for a more comfortable frame replacement?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    do you wear padded shorts and padded gloves whilst riding your bike?
  • SXJ
    SXJ Posts: 17
    Yes, but they only offer marginal improvement. It's a very rigid frame built for speed not touring and really transmits road surface quality. I ride a Charge Mixer as daily commute which is not a fair comparison as they are very different bikes but I could ride the Charge all day (not uphill), my hands are numb on the Charge after 20 mins.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Have you tried different tyres? Something like a schwalbe supermoto might improve things due to its large air volume.

You could also try a carbon or titanium seat post as these are more flexible
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd just sell it and buy something you like. By the time you've replaced the frame and forks, and any other bits that don't fit it'll cost a bit, and you won't get much for the bits you take off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All those parts you have changed have much more effect than a frame can possibly have. An new frme will only be a very marginal improvement.