Issac Proton

aw1808
aw1808 Posts: 91
edited January 2013 in Your road bikes
My new little toy , bought this frame from another member Galatzo.

This replaced a madone 5.2 pro where the head tube was just too small for me .

IssacProton_zps61afddaa.jpg

Ultegra Grey 6700
Fizik Arione CX Braided rails
3T ARX Stem
Bontrager RXL Blade - 44cm
Spesh Bar phat tape
Look Keo Max pedals
Issac Seat post - looking at a Storck though .
Spin Cycles 38 MM Clinchers
Conti GP4000s

Only just built it up and had a quick spin and first impressions are very good.
I may be slow going up but i will pass you going down !

Comments

• That looks well! :)

Let me know please how the wheels ride when you've had chance to put them through their paces as hopefully looking at these or Wheelsmiths for my next pair of hoops.
  • aw1808
    The wheels are not new as i have swapped them over from my madone .

They are extremely nice to ride , i know someone else who has a pair who has zipps too and he prefers the spin wheels . I have had for about 8 months and have put quite a few miles on them and really like them . They had a decent review in the cyclist mag as they reviewed there ti bike and the wheels were on the bike .

The hubs spin for ever and they are pretty strong too but light - 1320 grams a set . I run a 25 mm tyre with them and i find them very comfy and braking seems to be ok .
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice one...
    Like it...
    :D
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    That is abslutely stunning! (Doesn't match your tan handbag tho).

The area aft of the HT looks more like a fuselage than a bike frame. That thing must steer like a rollercoaster with such a stiff-looking front end.

It looks beautifully set up too, good for you for stcking with a 'bar you like. That thing is mega deep compared to the route most people go, i.e. an ergo bend bar like a FSA Wing Pro or 3T Ergonova or Deda RHM.

Enjoy it and ride the snot outta it!
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • aw1808
    The wifes handbag is pink , thankfully it doesnt match the bike !

I have swapped everything over from the madone so im used to the kit and love the bars , been thinking about a change though just not sure what route to take .

Im not worried about the weight as i can loose a few kilos off me that will make better sense than off the bike buut tried to keep a black and white theme .

The BB is huge too and is does handle quite well from what i can tell when i have had a short ride just hope it will be comfy enough over 6 hrs as they are known for being stiff frames but that will help climbing when i do the lakeland loop sportive in a few months !
  • Back to those wheels.......thanks for the feedback so far by the way. Is the braking in the wet ok? Only asking as the review I read had 'issues' in that area I seem to recall?
  • aw1808
    I haven't used them in the real wet but only when I have been caught out With a shower and have been ok , The breaking was iffy to start with but has settled down .

I use them with the pads , they are not as good as the dura ace c24's I had before but they have been ok so far . Haven't noticed any grabbing etc .

I haven't ridden carbon before these and couldn't comment against other carbon clinchers . I like them though and they ride really well .
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice one...
    Like it...
    :D
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Yep, once again I'm wondering why I sold my bike !
    Excellent work Alex, couldn't have done better myself :wink:
    Enjoy it pal.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • aw1808
    Galatzo wrote:
    Yep, once again I'm wondering why I sold my bike !
    Excellent work Alex, couldn't have done better myself :wink:
    Enjoy it pal.

Im loving it , ben for a quick spin today , you put the pedals down and it just goes and the steering is very direct .

7.35kg build but a new seatpost , stem and bars is on the list of items next .......