After visiting my LBS, I now know that...

Fursty Ferret
Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
edited January 2013 in Road general
...what I really want is a cheap expensive road bike, that has both Di2 and mechanical shifters, that I either will or won’t want to upgrade in 3 years time, which is either a Cube, a Cannondale, a Wilier, a Scott, a Focus or a Felt, which has both lairy and subdued graphics, and which is both a 54 and a 56. I am completely and utterly sure of all of this.

Comments

• Sounds like a pretty standard trip there!
  • Have you thought about getting a Specialized? Or maybe a Trek?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    And no mention of Ribble?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Do you want that to be a alu-carbon or a carbon or a steel or a alu-steel or a titanium-carbo-scandium ujimaflip?

These things matter
  • Campagnolo, SRAM or that Japanese one?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Was it Halfords?
  • smoggysteve
    Campagnolo, SRAM or that Japanese one?

Will you burst into flames if you say Shima.... better not in case I do.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    What about wheels? I'm sure they also clarified whether aero or not? alu or carbon?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    And you really need tubs. Or clinchers.
  • smoggysteve
    ...what I really want is a cheap expensive road bike,

Specialized it is then!!!
  • Honestly, I was in that shop (Leisure Lakes, Cheltenham) for 90 mins just staring at bikes,getting more and more indecisive as each minute passed. It did my head in. Might as well just go in, close my eyes, spin round and point blindly next time. I'll have as good a chance as finding my ideal bike that way

Hats off to the poor bloody salesman, Steve. He was a diamond but I properly shafted his afternoon.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Start off with what you want to do with your bike, and work from there.
  • Dess1e wrote:
    Start off with what you want to do with your bike, and work from there.

I know exactly what I want to do with it. But there are about 50 bikes in my price range that meet that requirement.
  • Do what I do - just buy the whole frigging shop!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • I know exactly what I want to do with it. But there are about 50 bikes in my price range that meet that requirement.

It probably won't help matters if I tell you that a surprising number of those bikes have frames made in the same factory in the same moulds.

They've just got different colours and labels.

Maybe that does help :)

Get the best build spec you can for the money.
  • I know exactly what I want to do with it. But there are about 50 bikes in my price range that meet that requirement.

It probably won't help matters if I tell you that a surprising number of those bikes have frames made in the same factory in the same moulds.

They've just got different colours and labels.

Maybe that does help :)

Get the best build spec you can for the money.

Oh, if there's one thing I am sure of it's that they all come out of the same robot factory in Taiwan.

But there was a lovely black 2012 Cube with full dura ace and featherlight wheels, for only £2300. But a) I'll inevitably drop it, b) I 'll go just as quick on Ultegra and won't have to spunk a fortune when I need a new cassette and chain and c) I'll forget the first part of point B and ask myself why i didn't go Di2

BUT THAT DIDN'T STOP ME BLOODY WANTING IT, DAMMIT!

Don't worry. I'll think rationally eventually and just make my choice in the next few weeks.

Whatever that choice is

(ps anybody ridden a Felt F4?)
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Usually a budget helps

All bikes in shops, new, shiney with good lighting make them all so pretty ;)
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Oh, if there's one thing I am sure of it's that they all come out of the same robot factory in Taiwan.

But there was a lovely black 2012 Cube with full dura ace and featherlight wheels, for only £2300. But a) I'll inevitably drop it, b) I 'll go just as quick on Ultegra and won't have to spunk a fortune when I need a new cassette and chain and c) I'll forget the first part of point B and ask myself why i didn't go Di2

BUT THAT DIDN'T STOP ME BLOODY WANTING IT, DAMMIT!

Don't worry. I'll think rationally eventually and just make my choice in the next few weeks.

Whatever that choice is

(ps anybody ridden a Felt F4?)

Just get it. You can replace it with an Ultegra cassette and chain anyway.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Have you considered an Aero frame, like an AR or a Foil or Ridley Noah,

If it hasnt been tested in a Wind Tunnel then it really wont be any good for whatever you want it for in 2013.

Your probably best off getting someone like Ricky Feather or Brian Rourke to custom build you something in 953 (Well at least the front triangle) maybe go for Carbon on the seat tube and chainstays, then again 6v4al titanium is probably where its at this year.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I blame Wiggle.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • And what's most embarrassing is that I almost walked out of that shop clutching a sky blue, single speed Wilier cafe racer and had to be almost physically restrained from buying it.
  • ...what I really want is a cheap expensive road bike, that has both Di2 and mechanical shifters, that I either will or won’t want to upgrade in 3 years time, which is either a Cube, a Cannondale, a Wilier, a Scott, a Focus or a Felt, which has both lairy and subdued graphics, and which is both a 54 and a 56. I am completely and utterly sure of all of this.

What they are trying to tell you is that you DO NEED more than one bike....!!!
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    what you should have learned is not to listen to a salesperson in any leisure lakes store. Go round the corner to Cheltenham Cycles and have a chat in there.

Last time I visited leisure lakes in Cheltenham, I explained my budget and the three bikes I was interested in trying and they ignored this and tried to push me towards a bike twice the price that was completely above my needs....
  • Chris87 wrote:
    what you should have learned is not to listen to a salesperson in any leisure lakes store. Go round the corner to Cheltenham Cycles and have a chat in there.

Last time I visited leisure lakes in Cheltenham, I explained my budget and the three bikes I was interested in trying and they ignored this and tried to push me towards a bike twice the price that was completely above my needs....

The salesman I spoke to, Steve, was a diamond. I explained my budget (up to 2.5K) and as well as notifying me that there was a Focus Izalco Di2 Ultegra for 2.6K, he thought that I would also very much enjoy the Cube priced at 1.6K. In fact the bikes he kept encouraging me to look at were pretty much below 2K.
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    wow, I'm impressed, I'll know who to ask for if I ever shop in there again!
  • Paralysis by analysis. Break your budget by 50% and buy the sexiest looking one that fits. Find reasons to justify later. Simples
  • What's the price difference between a cheap expensive bike and an expensive cheap bike?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.