Cassette/Hub compatibility

h34e0f
h34e0f Posts: 370
edited January 2013 in Road general
So I'm collecting parts for a new bike build and find myself short on funds. I'm therefore tempted to stick my current groupset on my new frame as a temporary measure. My issue here is that I'd rather not use my old rear wheel and would like to use the new one. My groupset is 8spd Campag, and the new wheelset is for 10spd Shimano.

Now I know I can get spacers to make an 8spd cassette fit a 10spd hub, however, would a Shimano/SRAM 8spd cassette and chain fit with my Campag chainset and rear mech?

Comments

• I think 8 speed were still cross compatible or can be made to be compatible with careful indexing... Chain set is not a problem and you can run any chain brand
    left the forum March 2023
  • h34e0f
    So are you saying my current Campag cassette will fit? Or should I just get a SRAM?Shimano cassette and fiddle with the derailleur a bit?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No, your Campag cassette won't fit on a Shimano splined freehub.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what are you trying to do?
    shimano rear bodies are the same siye for 8/9/10 (except for the 10 only) shimano and sram cassettes will also fit (some shimano 10spd cassettes will need a spacer.

but you dont say, clearly, what you plan on using to shift the chain? Campy 8spd shifter and mech?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • h34e0f
    edited January 2013
    keef66 wrote:
    No, your Campag cassette won't fit on a Shimano splined freehub.

This is exactly what I thought, however the previous post confused me.

So a Shimano/SRAM Cassette will work with my Campag rear mech?
    nicklouse wrote:
    Campy 8spd shifter and mech?

Yes
  • h34e0f
    Providing the above will work (8 speed Shimano cassette on 10 speed Shimano hub), where do the spacers go, wheel-side or frame-side of the hub?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    AFAIK an 8 speed Shimano cassette is the same width as a 10 speed one (new 10 speed Tiagra aside) so the only spacer you'll need is the usual 1.0mm steel one which goes on the freehub before the cassette.
  • h34e0f
    keef66 wrote:
    AFAIK an 8 speed Shimano cassette is the same width as a 10 speed one (new 10 speed Tiagra aside) so the only spacer you'll need is the usual 1.0mm steel one which goes on the freehub before the cassette.

Ah brilliant! Save some hassle then, cheers.