Crest 29 w/ Racing Ralph 2.25

solitone
solitone Posts: 43
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Are these tyres too wide on rims with 21 mm internal width?

I read many people advise up to 2.5" tyres--seem huge!!

But the cautious upper limit published here is just 50 mm (2.0").

Too optimistic the first advice, too pessimistic the second one??

Comments

• mystery h
    mystery h Posts: 154
    i run 2.25 rr on the rear crest tubeless no problems, plus i run a 2.35 hans dampf on the front with a crest too!

go for it man!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    2.3 I reckon is ok on "XC" rims, anything more might get a bit silly - but then if you need a bigger tyre than that, youll probably have a bigger (i.e. more use appropriate) rim....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Thanks riders!

I personally don't need anything bigger than 2.25" on Crest's, I think.

(BTW, doesn't a 2.35 Hans Dampf have a too rounded shape on a narrow Crest rim?)

At the moment I have a pair of American Classic All Mountain 29 wheels (inner width 23 mm, outer 28 mm), and I run 2.35 Hans Dampf front plus 2.25 Nobby Nic rear. This is going to be my all-mountain wheelset.

Now I'm going to build a new pair of wheels with Crest 29 rims, and I'll be using less aggressive tyres on those. I believe Racing Ralph's are enough for the XC and marathon races I'm planning.

I'd rather run 2.25 RR's--not only for the additional air volume, but also for the SnakeSkin (no SnakeSkin available in the thinner 2.10 version). To me reinforced sidewalls is a must for long races!
  • solitone wrote:
    Thanks riders!

I personally don't need anything bigger than 2.25" on Crest's, I think.

(BTW, doesn't a 2.35 Hans Dampf have a too rounded shape on a narrow Crest rim?)

At the moment I have a pair of American Classic All Mountain 29 wheels (inner width 23 mm, outer 28 mm), and I run 2.35 Hans Dampf front plus 2.25 Nobby Nic rear. This is going to be my all-mountain wheelset.

Now I'm going to build a new pair of wheels with Crest 29 rims, and I'll be using less aggressive tyres on those. I believe Racing Ralph's are enough for the XC and marathon races I'm planning.

I'd rather run 2.25 RR's--not only for the additional air volume, but also for the SnakeSkin (no SnakeSkin available in the thinner 2.10 version). To me reinforced sidewalls is a must for long races!

Im running 2.25 on crests and they are fine. Lawman put me onto the gatestar versions with the snakeskin walls and im finding them great! Much more confidence than the standard evo paper thin walls in the turns. A bit heavier and more drag but not overly noticeable.
  • Yes, I cut a rear plain Evo (not SnakeSkin) RR on one of its first rides. I wasn't even on a trail, but on a gravel road in the mountains (admittedly, with some very sharp stones!)

Now I'll be running RR with SnakeSkin at least on the rear (I repaired the plain Evo, and I hope it's less likely I'll cut it on the front..)