Have you ever...

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited January 2013 in Road general
had a bike that was alright on paper for geo, but just never felt good while on it?

My story is: rode Allez for about 1.5 years, loved it and never had discomfort, cornering felt great and pretty much everything about it but of course was a bit flexy. Got a Canyon CF 9 which has a pretty awesome ride, super stiff and direct, firmer than Allez yet actually less harsh BUT... it never felt "right". Tried a number of things but the front just felt too high/vague (even thought it was actually = or lower than Allez) resulting in feeling a bit blind in corners as could not really tell what was going no at the front due not being able to put [seemingly] enough weight on it. On paper however, they are very similar.

I rode a few other bikes alu and carbon - mostly on a hire or demo day basis and they always felt fine in terms of weight disto, feeling in corners etc. Of course here it's a bit different than actually owning a bike.

This is not a brand vs brand thing, more just a genuine curiosity form my side if anyone else ever had something similar?

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I'm totally new to bikes but in the car industry (my industry of choice) we often see people buy their dream car, only to be disappointed with the drive. I guess that's a similar thing.
    Living MY dream.
  • What size Allez did you ride, and what size Canyon did you get?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Handling depends on geometry, the position of the rider on the bike, and the quality of the frame itself:

1) geometry - pretty standard given there is only so many changes that can be made before everything gets a bit odd.. but it still plays a part
    2) position on the bike - its pretty key to get the right weight distribution, position over BB, saddle height, reach etc. in order to feel balanced and in control of the bike
    3) quality of the frame - recent trend for massively oversized headtubes is in order to improve front tracking, responsiveness, and feel whilst cornering (and sprinting).

The key question is which 'CF9' did you go for? because CF9 just refers to the spec level.. and if you bought their TT bike -> the Speedmax CF9 then of course you can expect it to feel a bit odd :lol:
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Oh, ultimate cf. Allez = 58 Canyon = 60 and feels smaller. Before I let the frame go I'll try a 135mm stem as got 120 now and 120mm on allez.
    VTech wrote:
    I'm totally new to bikes but in the car industry (my industry of choice) we often see people buy their dream car, only to be disappointed with the drive. I guess that's a similar thing.

True - in a way it's "this is as good as it gets" feeling but don't think I focus too much on that more of not being able to put enough weight on the front, especially through cornering. It's similar to not having feel of the road through the wheel and not knowing where things are at.