Drive train problem and a Wiggle moan

2»

Comments

• extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    I don't rate that bikeradar one, I think the parktools makes for better reading. Or even a Shimano leaflet.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    Yep – ta. I have no excuse to not be riding tonight as I now have a range of procedures . It does however suggest pliers!!! God damn it – I knew it

You can't get pliers in Spain. Any fule kno that.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Yep – ta. I have no excuse to not be riding tonight as I now have a range of procedures . It does however suggest pliers!!! God damn it – I knew it

Nope, never use pliers. It just says hold it tight (not pull) with pliers which you can do with your fingers....
  • You only need those if you loosened the cable from the mech though? Tell me you didn't!

Yep the cable is attached no longer. I'm starting to think a no maintenance, sealed gearbox is a much better solution than bits of piano wire, springs and flimsy metal.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Yep the cable is attached no longer. I'm starting to think a no maintenance, sealed gearbox is a much better solution than bits of piano wire, springs and flimsy metal.

a fixie may be more up your street.
  • I have diligently followed the video to adjust my front mech so its not rubbing the chain. When on the big ring I turn the stop anti clockwise to move it away from the chain – nothing happens. If I move it clockwise the cage moves towards the bike. I can virtually screw the stop right out with no movement. This is why previously I detached the cable for more tension! I need a friggin pair of pliars
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    when you hold the cable in the front mech, make sure all the slack is out of the rest of the cable by pulling at it. Shimano documents show thats best done on the downtube.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 614952.pdf

Make sure the lever was in the small ring position before you do this.

And what cog at the back are you on when you say its rubbing?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Should have gone to Halfords!

True except I’m in Spain- but I could have gone to the equivalent here- Decathlon and got a BTWIN. Brilliant shop if you ever come across one for bike accessories and clothing.
    Funny you should mention GF’s – I’m sure this damned bike is driving a wedge between us. The other day she pretended to dry hump it and said she was doing an impression of me. Every time she walks past it she pretends to spit on it.

Thats not good - sounds like you need a new girlfriend. Whilst it may be a little tricky to fit into bar small talk, but if you can find a girl who can index gears then you're quids in.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Worth checking that the mechanical hanger is not bent.

Your symptoms are similar to mine when my new Ribble bike arrived. The box had taken a knock in transit. A new hanger solved the problem.
  • The mechs work..... Not entirely sure what I did different for the 10th time but both derailurers now work properly. Feel more angry than satisfaction – what an utterly stupid, temperamental mechanism. Roll on 2020 when they have sealed gearboxes made of rice paper.
    Since having the bike upside down I have noticed a lot of excess grease seeping from the bottom bracket! (chain ring side?) Please tell me this is supposed to happen on a new bike.....? Jesus wept.......
  • The mechs work..... Not entirely sure what I did different for the 10th time but both derailurers now work properly. Feel more angry than satisfaction – what an utterly stupid, temperamental mechanism. Roll on 2020 when they have sealed gearboxes made of rice paper.
    Since having the bike upside down I have noticed a lot of excess grease seeping from the bottom bracket! (chain ring side?) Please tell me this is supposed to happen on a new bike.....? Jesus wept.......

lmao
  • A few questions;

Why did you buy from Wiggle instead of your LBS?

What bike is it?

How much did you save over the RRP?

How much did you save over buying it from your LBS?

Did you read the T&Cs on Wiggle that make it clear that they don't have a phone number before spending £800 with them?

Did you get cashback via TCB or Quidco when you bought the bike? Around 3%

Did you not budget for any extras or set up costs? - Obviously not.

I would have loved it if my insurance replacement bikes came from my LBS. The price was matched by them and they were throwing in extras and obviously a fit and 6 week service. Unfortunately my insurance company didn't want to know and FORCED me to buy from Wheelies direct. Truly incompetent "mechanics".

I would have loved to be able to get a replacement from CRC or Wiggle but alas, no. Their prices and CS, especially CRC are second to none IMO.

Unfortunately in my LBS, which I have many within a 5 mile radius, are unbelievable bike snobs and charge a fortune for even the most basic maintenence.

After needing a front mech fitted once and the guy saying it would be ready within 45 minutes and not being ready until 3 hours later, and even when he said it was ready - and turned up expecting to collect and being made to wait another 10 minutes - whilst they obviously did the job - I vowed not to get pi55ed about by these jokers.

I searched Gumtree and found a mobile mechanic who comes to me at a convienient time - does the job whilst he's here or takes the bike away and then will return it.

Looking forward to some answers to my questions...

Cheers
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    When I read the bit about the worn chainring in the OP I had deja vu about the legendary Speedking 'Be Warned' thread!
  • A lot of questions...... I was expecting at the end you might finish by asking what colour my pants are. With a name like ‘Heather Mills leg’ you have my full attention. I will try to be brief and not go too life story on you.
    I’m working in Spain until March. Gave up smoking recently (day 49) and decided to replace this with a healthy hobby.
    I did go to the local bike shop(s)in Spain and was offered a 2012 Giant TCR1 with a little bit off (900 euros I think) and a BCR ex hire for 700. Amazingly I was told I couldn’t test ride the Giant...... The salesman was short with an annoying beard and was clearly trying to clear stock. The TCR did look nice and I did the customary ahhhhh as I marvelled at it’s scant weight. I might even have bought it ...... I have bought cars for less money and test driven them!!! I wouldn’t call him a bike snob , more a stupid cu** as he could have fleeced me.
    Quickly realised I could get better value online and did a little research using bikeradar. Ended up with a 2011 Ridley Orion with 50% off.
    I did know about Wiggle’s bizarre communication breakdown as I asked them several questions before and during ordering. Each time having to wait hours for a response and normally a reply from a different person who wasn’t aware of the history. Stupid system with a lot of scope for improvement.
    I could afford to take it to a mechanic but WTF? £800 .... plus its a bit of piano wire, a spring and a lever ..... I don’t know what makes me more angry , the shit design or the massively overpriced ancient technology.
    I don’t have the patience for mechanics and find it boring, I just enjoy riding. But I would prefer to suffer the rage than leave it with a bearded midget who’s heart really isn’t it.
    I guess one thing I have learnt is that the bike industry is huge and everything is massively overpriced. The bike is nice but has a stupid name – sounds like a something you do in a toilet. It might be carbon fibre and have aggressive geometry bla bla ....... But it is just a bike.....
    Hope that answers most of your queries, I’m off to smoke some EPO and hacksaw my bike in half.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    LV - I would ask for a refund at the anger management classes if I were you.

Also if mechanics bores you, you may be in the wrong hobby.

Chill out, read the park tools website http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

with a nice glass of red wine (just a small one) to help reduce your blood pressure!!!

Geees, your gonna have a heart attack if you carry on like that :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • As soon as I saw the words – park t..... zzzzzzzzz my head hit the desk as I slipped in an unconscious state.
    I have been pointed in the direction of this website and agreed, a lot of useful information. But there is something about the way it’s worded that make my eyes glaze over.

As for anger management, think again , you should try getting angry sometime, it’s fun and it might help with your sprint bursts. According to this article getting angry is good for your health.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7793481/Getting-angry-can-be-good-for-you.html

In any case I’m a firm believer in questioning things in life, especially when you part with £800
  • I'm sorry but this post has to be made up no-one can be this simple, it's gota be a wind up surely.
  • My humble apologies. I thought I was posting in a beginners forum, your way to advanced for me.
    I mean your query about tektro brakes just blew my mind......
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    and I think that most everyone on this thread have tried to help you, it's a pretty simple fix for your problem, whether you want to hear that is another matter, Wiggle are a box shifters, simple, if you have no mechanical skills at all you should have bought local.
  • Flasher don’t fret it's fixed. We can all sleep easy. Lovely little trolls
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    TheBigBee... is... is that you?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/