crank brothers cassette spacer

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a pair of these wheels and fitted XTR cassette (and also an XT) to find the alloy spider interfers with the hub so that the freehub will not turn.

A quick look on the internet reveals that is a spacer 21010-30 to solve this.

So is anyone using one of these - is there anythihng special about this part, I mean can I use for example a cassette spacer or make my own from a sheet of aluminium? If anyone has one of these, please can you post photo.

Comments

• 02gf74
    spent the evening making a spacer from 2 mm al sheet, fitted spacer and XTR cassette and whoopee the spider clears the hub. :lol: .... my happiness was short lived as when I came to fit the rest of the sprockets to find the 11 T does not engage with the slpines. hmmmmm ... so I measure the freehub length and compare to a Roval hub and guess what - the same. (ok, I shoulkd have measured it before but was convinced from the Crank Bro blurm that I needed a spacer)

So basically no spacer is needed but I need to find a light cassette that has no protrusions beyond the largest sprocket - any suggestions?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ohhhh can you get pics of the compatibility issue and make a post for the FAQs? make a post and PM me a link to it and i will sort it.

sure it will be asked in the future.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    edited January 2013
    Luckily managed to recover the photos off my bad memory card, so here they are and some info.
    To summarise the problem: some cassettes have rivets to hold the largest sprocket to an alloy carrier that contact the lugs for the spokes. The worst offender is early XTR and XT cassette. The later XTR M970 has a thinner carrier so the rivets don't stick out as much and will work with this hub.

Hopefully the photos make it really clear. All cassettes are 11-32 9 speed.

Shimano XTR M960 - fat alloy spider that sticks out and contacts the hub
    DSC08299_zpscc6cd95b.jpg

Shimano XT - alloy spider but with protruding rivets that contact hub
    DSC08300_zps824ec1c5.jpg

Shimano LX - flat steel sprockets clears hub
    DSC08296_zps75002cc4.jpg

SRAM X0 - alloy spider but rivets clear hub
    DSC08302_zps2a5544e4.jpg
  • We had the same issue with a customers bike a year or so ago. We ended up trying few different spacers, but in the end we ended up using a Wheels MFG 1.0mm spacer.

Obviously any 1.0mm spacer should work. I know it doesn't sound like it would make a difference but surprisingly it worked fine. For reference this was a XT Cassette.
  • 02gf74
    hmmm, my experience showed that with a 2mm spacer, the smallest sprocket would not engage at all with the splines on the hub, personally I wouldn't trust a 1 mm spacer as that still will not engage the splines fully. X0 cassettes are going to £ 40 at the mo so I may get one of those or splash out on the later XTR.

Note that cassettes with larger big sprockets, e.g. 34T or 36T will have the rivets further out from the centre so they have a better chance of clearing the hub.