2 cyclists killed in Bristol hit and run

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
Not much more to add. Grim news.

Two cyclists have died after being hit by a car in Bristol. The man and woman were struck just before 16:00 GMT on Lower Hanham Road, Hanham. Avon and Somerset police are searching for the driver, who abandoned the car and left the scene of the collision.

An ambulance service spokeswoman said both cyclists had fatal injuries and "were beyond help at the scene". Police are appealing for witnesses. "Collision investigators are currently at the scene and officers are working to locate the driver," police said.

The Great Western Ambulance Service spokeswoman said an ambulance, paramedics, and a rapid response vehicle were sent to the scene.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-21225233

Comments

• BBC since updated that the man has handed himself in. Not that its any consolation to the family of the bereaved.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Extremely sad news.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    BBC since updated that the man has handed himself in. Not that its any consolation to the family of the bereaved.
    true - i wonder if the blinded by the sun excuse will come out again ?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • what is more bothersome--is the lack of importance given on so called cycling sites-- no news on the front page on this site-- chat forums sadly are more concerned with navel gazing-- this was murder/manslaughter !!! FFS
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Its worrying when something like this becomes so common that its no longer newsworthy. As mentioned above. Hardly any mention on cycling sites.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Read elsewhere that just prior to the incident the police had tried to pull the vehicle over for speeding, but the driver had evaded the police...
  • smoggysteve
    UK needs to change its laws on road related deaths. In America, this would be classed as manslaughter. Damn sight tougher punishment than a 25 pound fine for careless driving as was handed out last week.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Absolutely! You guys seen this? Could be the start of real change:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/44059
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Sad news. Thoughts with the families involved.

Thanks for the link giant man. I hadn't seen this but it is now on my facebook page.

-Spider-
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Sad news inded.

However,
    what is more bothersome--is the lack of importance given on so called cycling sites-- no news on the front page on this site-- chat forums sadly are more concerned with navel gazing-- this was murder/manslaughter !!! FFS

You obviously have more information from somewhere. I haven't seen anything that said the driver deliberately ran into the cyclists, can you link to the report please?
  • Anyone know someone called Chris Carbery?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80494743@N00/8422039264
  • Have a look at his Twitter feed ..... more info there.
  • He's a racist homophobe.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I know the couple were riding a tandem but I cannot understand how this could be less than manslaughter. How fast must he have been driving to cause their deaths?
    Their families must be devastated.
  • Agree, it should be manslaughter.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Agree, it should be manslaughter.

Unlikely, most probably will be charged with 'Death by dangerous driving' Result most likely be a fine and a ban and maybe a suspended sentence.
  • I'm saying what it should be, not what is likely.
  • The tragedy brought to mind one that occured near me seven years ago , four were killed outright, the other eight all injured after an out of control vehicle hit them at high speed on a sunday run. It was an icy morning, most people take account of these things, but not this driver, he had three bald tyres, which the inquest ruled as non contributary !! he was fined £180 and six points on his license.

This incident appears to have a speeding vehicle, and a driver who's first thought was to flee... not trying to pre judge, but manslaughter would seem appropriate, until life on the road is given the same value as elsewhere , we will contionue to have people behave in reckless manner, endangering any that happen to be in their path.

The law needs to protect the most vulnerable, not the least, which it seems at the moment.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    markos1963 wrote:

Unlikely, most probably will be charged with 'Death by dangerous driving' Result most likely be a fine and a ban and maybe a suspended sentence.

If that charge is proven then than sort of sentence is unlikely -

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sent ... s_driving/
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    .......until life on the road is given the same value as elsewhere , we will continue to have people behave in reckless manner, endangering any that happen to be in their path....
    That, unfortunately, is nail on head. :cry:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • random man
    rodgers73 wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

Unfortunately, the charge of death by dangerous driving was brought in to replace Motor Manslaughter, as juries were reluctant to convict. Maybe this should be brought back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manslaught ... nglish_law
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I agree with the sentiment regarding harsher sentencing when a motorist causes the death of any road user when driving in any kind of negligent manner (speeding, drunk, on the phone). The problem is that with speeding, being on the phone etc. I think a lot of people on juries probably do it themselves at some point and there is possibly that thought in the back of their mind that it could be them on trial so there would be a reluctance to find the driver guilty.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    rodgers73 wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

Unfortunatly until we know more about it it looks like at most it would be a level two offence and more probably a level one if they get themselves a good brief. I would doubt it would be more than five years in any case.
  • random man
    Given the list of charges against the driver, I'd like to think he'd get the maximum sentence.

'Mr Lovell is due to appear before North Avon Magistrates' Court on Wednesday charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving.

Mr Lovell, 38, of West Street, Oldland Common, has also been charged with driving while disqualified, driving with no insurance and failing to stop at the scene of a collision.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-21242077
  • guy is a killer --cant let him out on bail--he may do so again !
  • the laws in this cuntry are flawed badly once you get in a ton of metal , goes back to the origins of the motor car--when only rich people had them, but deaths of others were very high-- message being that all are fair game on the road!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    The police have confirmed that the vehicle was being followed after it hadn't stopped when requested.

I've never understood this.

IF I was to go onto the street with a piece of wood that looked like a gun* and behaved in a threatening manner, the police would turn up with armed officers and if I refused to co-operate, I would be shot. Even killed.

However, if I was in a car, I could be allowed to drive for hours causing damage and danger, and the police would hang back in the fear that I might hurt myself.

*http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/460116.stm

The older I get, the better I was.

• smoggysteve
    If anyone kills a cyclist with a car, unless it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt, the crime should always be causing death by dangerous driving at the very least. IF a car was to hit a pedestrian on the pavement it would no doubt be this, so failing to slow down or give room to a cyclist should carry an equally heavy punishment.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Capt Slog wrote:
    The police have confirmed that the vehicle was being followed after it hadn't stopped when requested.

I've never understood this.

IF I was to go onto the street with a piece of wood that looked like a gun* and behaved in a threatening manner, the police would turn up with armed officers and if I refused to co-operate, I would be shot. Even killed.

However, if I was in a car, I could be allowed to drive for hours causing damage and danger, and the police would hang back in the fear that I might hurt myself.

*http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/460116.stm

err... how do you suppose they should stop a car that refuses to stop? Machine gun it and kill a few passers by as well?

The question is be: should the police give chase to a vehicle in an urban enviroment? this isnt the first time this type of "accident" has occured, 2 people are dead, for what?

Then again, if they do nothing, then the criminal gets away with it and maybe goes on to commit more offences and potentially other deaths.

I guess they need second sight and whether they know the suspects and can pick them up later when they arnt in a car.

I doubt the driver was thinking about giving cyclists more room, he was trying to out run the Police and didnt give a flying xxxx about anyone else who gets in his way - to me it is murder, no less.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    mamba80 wrote:
    err... how do you suppose they should stop a car that refuses to stop? Machine gun it and kill a few passers by as well?

It's hard to say in the circumstances surrounding the tandem riders in the op, we don't know the details such as how far the driver went etc.

But there are many occasions when they can run them off the road. They manage to do this quite effectively in other countries, it seems to be just the UK that has this strange idea that a criminal's safety is more important than everyone else's on the road.

The older I get, the better I was.