650b front wheel

MickyDub
MickyDub Posts: 44
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Basic question,where's the best shop to pick up a 650b front wheel??Rim needs to be tubeless,hub/spokes need to be robust and light.I'd love a combo of 28 spoke Stans on a Hope hub.Any idea's??Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd try a bike shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    I've got to say I'm with cooldad on this one.
  • @ cooldad and mark909,thanks for your replys,though I m notsure if your both being smart or clicky.My local bikeshops dont even know about 29'ers,let alone 650b.Even CRC,maybe the largest bikeshop in Europe have a very ltd choice.So has any genuine riders got any ideas who I could contact,I dont need anymore jokers like the 1st 2 replys.Thanks again.
  • cooldad
    I normally blame Wiggle, but you never know...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    But their replies are correct go to a bike shop, just find a better one than you have so far. And as your really lazy try this which took me 2 secs to find http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a87875/ztr-crest-650b-rim-32holes-black.html?lg=en&cr=GBP&cn=gb&gclid=CNPcjdbAibUCFYXLtAodT2oAAA yeah it's not 28 hole but it's a start. Buy a hub and spokes and get it built.
  • cooldad
    I know a place even cheaper than those danged foreigners. But as I'm not a genuine rider, I'd better not say anything.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • MickyDub wrote:
    Basic question,where's the best shop to pick up a 650b front wheel??Rim needs to be tubeless,hub/spokes need to be robust and light.I'd love a combo of 28 spoke Stans on a Hope hub.Any idea's??Thanks in advance.
    Are you sure a 650b will fit in the fork? A 26 with mountain king 2.4 only just fits in my Reba.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Where does he say he's fitting it to a 26" bike (stupid idea). He doesn't say that he doesn't have a 650B bike
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    MickyDub wrote:
    Are you sure a 650b will fit in the fork? A 26 with mountain king 2.4 only just fits in my Reba.

Continental tyres have very high sidewalls, a 2.2 rubber queen for example will rub the seat tube on my HD, so if space is tight, don't use Conti! Other tyres including 650b are fine in some 26" frames and forks, although Fox are currently working on a 140mm 650b fork.

29-IMG_7913.jpg

http://reviews.mtbr.com/sneak-peak-fox- ... 140mm-fork
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    So all you need to convert your 26" bike to 650B is a set of Conti tyres?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No because then you get width and weight as well as the height......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I was just checking MickyDub wasn't trying to fit a 650b wheel and tire to a 26 fork.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    So all you need to convert your 26" bike to 650B is a set of Conti tyres?

Pretty much in some cases, definitely for the 2.4 RQ. This is the argument against 650b, you can actually achieve the same results with a high volume tyre, so a 2.4/2.5 26 will measure up similar to 27.5x2.0. But that kinda defeats the point. With proper 650b frames and forks you do get some advantages from dedicated high volume tyres. I've yet to ride one but am intrigued to see how one rides, I've never really got 29ers tbh