Very wet shoes.....

white/blue flash
white/blue flash Posts: 49
edited January 2013 in Road general
Been out today for a Quick ride "well 30miles and 2.75 hours later" we came to a flooded road....Now we could have taken the long ay round which would have added another 10miles to the ride...Or go through the water for 50meters, so we chose the second option...All was going well until the water was above the crank and my nice new shoes were going under water with every stroke....

So whats the best way to dry them out....

Airing cupboard.??
Radiator.??
Naturally.??

Really shatterd but loved every min I was out.... :D:D

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Stuff them with newspaper and stick them on a radiator. Job done.
  • Nice one bud....Will give that a go....
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Cover the vents and fill them up with rice.
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    My various shoes have endured many years of this! They now have a distinctive aroma :lol:
  • TakeTurns wrote:

Rice :o:o .Never heard of that one, useing rice to attract water.... :D:D
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    Rinse through with fresh water, removing insoles to wash/dry seperatly and stuff with newspaper. Somewhere warm e.g. airing cupboard, near radiator and replace newspaper once an hour for three hours. Then remove newspaper and leave to dry fully. If they are real leather apply leather cream after rinse and once dry to avoid cracking.

Newspaper not essential but speeds up the process.
  • richsieb
    richsieb Posts: 137
    +1 on the newspaper. Stops them smelling awful as well
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Ah, stuffing with newspaper..same way I used to dry my football boots. Trouble is who still buys newspapers these days? I have to get mine from my parents otherwise I'd be buying them to stuff wet shoes without even bothering to read the nonsense in them.
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    I make good use of the free papers they stuff through my door every week.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    When your cycle computer gets wet stuff it in a bag with Rice to dry it out. Worked for my 705 which failed to connect to my computer after a wet ride.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,652
    +1 for the news paper - Take it out and leave it on a radiator during the ride and it ll be ready to use again afterwards too!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    Been out today for a Quick ride "well 30miles and 2.75 hours later" we came to a flooded road....Now we could have taken the long ay round which would have added another 10miles to the ride...Or go through the water for 50meters, so we chose the second option...All was going well until the water was above the crank and my nice new shoes were going under water with every stroke....

So whats the best way to dry them out....

Airing cupboard.??
    Radiator.??
    Naturally.??

Really shatterd but loved every min I was out.... :D:D

Sorry, but are you really asking this question? :wink:
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Value disposable nappies are awesome for drying wet shoes. We have a stock in our house for post Welsh winter MTB rides ;-)
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I've been crossing flooded roads that come up to the BB by cranking just a quarter turn or so, to keep my feet dry. I must look a right tw@t, but it does work (if you have the time).
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    +1 for newspaper but radiator sounds alarm bells for me.. well on top of radiator.

I tend to stuff newspaper and leave overnight near a radiator, but verge on the side of caution as they actually can get all shrunk by having too much heat!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    +1 for quarter pedalling

&

+1 for newspaper (The local free rag is very handy for wet shoes/dripping bikes)
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    TakeTurns wrote:

Good for shoes is rice, food for the sole.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    ^^ :lol:
  • And buy some decent overshoes ...... and learn to lift your feet out of the pedals in deep water ;)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Peat wrote:
    +1 for quarter pedalling

&

+1 for newspaper (The local free rag is very handy for wet shoes/dripping bikes)
    Does not help when water is over wheel hubs :-( wet feet or fall off
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,652
    Man up boys FFS!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    i regularly put my shoes in the airing cupboard 24-36 hours they are bone dry :lol:
  • Newspaper plus a trained kitten is the best of all.

Kitty gets to play with newspaper balls afterwards, so don't feel sorry for her.

101_9720.JPG
  • I have a set of these I use for drying/warming my ski boots.

http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/shop/products/Thermic_Warmer_230_V_UK.htm

Perfect to dry out my road shoes after having to cycle through a flood on Sunday.