Hi, newbie here with addict R3

dereko
dereko Posts: 55
edited July 2013 in Your road bikes
Hi all
Been lurking a while so thought I'd say hello and show my bike:)
Been struggling to get my enjoyment in cycling back but slowly getting there
I remember cycling everywhere on a mountain bike during my teens and finding it a doddle but its gotten tougher as the years have flown by (only 33 though!)
Here it is,
http://i.imgur.com/G4KRdos.jpg
an addict R3. I was never really a fan of Scott but saw this in the lbs while I was actually collecting a BMC but decided to stump up a bit more and get the Scott!
The frame is so light and really nicely made
The bar and stem is to be changed for 3t kit (on order) and the saddle and tape is going black (just fancy a change)
I was wondering what people thought of rim depth on this though?
I'm looking at 24mm or 38mm but think the 38s might make it look a bit slabby?
Anyway if you have any opinions please let me know

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    smart...
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Nice! If you want to display the picture in the post, simply wrap it in IMG tags: urlofphoto

G4KRdos.jpg

Also welcome to the forum!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The triple does that bike a disservice and contravenes rule 47.

As far as wheels are concerned, if you don't do over 20mph regularly you're not going to see an real benefit to something deeper than 24mm. Buy Elites or DA C24s.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I've got the same frame built up with Campag and a 3T cockpit. I absolutely love it. I've taken it to Italy and raced it a fair bit, currently pondering if I should go 11 speed. Here's how it looks with 32mm rims (now sold):

addict1of1.jpg

Here's an old pic with 46mm rims:

critphotostweaked3of6.jpg

I think it looks great with the deep sections but I wouldn't recommend buying them if you're light or you live somewhere windy. I'm about 54kg and even 32mm rims can be a handful on windy days. Today it was gusting to just under 40mph around Edinburgh and it was a struggle to stay on the road at times even on 25mm rims.
  • Grill
    Very nice. I ride my Foil with Reynolds Attacks, superb wheels.
  • dereko
    Yeah going triple was a near deal breaker but a full carbon frame (inc dropouts, cable stops etc) swung it for me
    Plus it's been a godsend at times on places like saltbox hill and church hill as stated in just getting back in to cycling and weigh in at about 90kg!! Currently dieting though and riding more so that figure better come down otherwise ill just quit!!!
    Thanks for responses so far, love yours major! Looks real good on those rims, I agree I should stick to 24's though
    Was looking at DA's but the jap eBay carbons caught my eye (best save that for another thread!)
  • Grill
    I wouldn't go carbon if you plan on riding in the rain...
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Nice bike
    Fellow addict rider here I have the RC with Di2 great bikes. Here's a jumbled pic of mine I'm having a shift round at the moment.
    DSC01660_zps4683915b.jpg
  • dereko
    I heard swisstops green were pretty good on carbon rims? I have them on my aksiums and they seem consistent in all weathers but not harsh or too abrasive?
  • dereko
    That rc looks real good, the rims compliment the frame very nicely
    Is your frame set for di2 or do the cables run externally?
  • majormantra
    Thanks Dereko. To be honest I wouldn't recommend going carbon for everyday use as braking isn't nearly as good unless you buy some of the newer, very expensive rims, and even then I doubt wet braking will be as good as alu. The DA C24s are by all accounts very good. Another option to consider is a good set of handbuilts - if you were interested feel free to PM me about building you a set. :wink:

If I were you though I'd ride your current wheels for a few hundred miles and mull your options - it's a great bike on any set.
  • mallorcajeff
    Yes it's di2 specific frame there is no cable guides etc. it's the team bike from 2010. Those wheels are amazing very fast but I don't use them anymore and will be selling them as of this week but they are here in Mallorca which is a nightmare to sell anything!
  • dereko
    Thanks very much, I'll bookmark your details, I've been riding them about 6 months now and my only grumble is the flex when pushing on or climbing
  • mallorcajeff
    I see your looking at wheels my every day set is mavic ksyrium elites and they are very good and some bargains online at the mo.
    IMG_2786.jpg
  • majormantra
    ^^Overcome with envy at a roadie living in Mallorca.
  • dereko
    I've heard lots of good things about the elites.... Your bike looks great, and that backdrop is awesome !!
  • mallorcajeff
    Not at the moment you don't need to be envious it's 1 degree above freezing a blowing a gale and I got caught in the snow and hail yesterday it's not all sun sun sun! Be nice come march though :-)
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    Picking one of these babies up on Tuesday, can't wait!! Great timing to add this post OP, some great bikes here chaps.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    Nooooo, keep the saddle and bar tape white, looks good like that!

If you're thinking about wheels, I just bought some Mavic Cosmic Elites which are 30mm so slightly aero, i'm wondering though if I shouldn't have gone for 50mm. Yet to ride the Cosmics due to inclement weather. But then reading 'major mantra's' opinion maybe I got the right ones since I'm both light and live/ride in a pretty windy place.
  • Grill
    When we talk about "Elites" we're referring to Kysrium Elties.
  • dereko
    I've taken delivery of my new wheels today
    I really wanted a set of elites but couldn't justify the extra cost over what I got ... I also chickened out of carbonese imports soooooooo....... Found some shimano rs80 c24's on crc for £319. Out of the box they are arrow straight and after a quick adjust on the front hub (disappointingly) they spin really nice. A lighter wheelset than the aksiums and a little more subtle which lets the frame stand out more.
    Still waiting for the new stem, bars (3t) and saddle (saddle is same selle Filante but black) and will then post a picture ! I'm a bit 50/50 about the black tape and saddle now but have some white deda tape if it all looks hideous!
    Got some new tape the other day, fizik performance in tacky black. Looks really smart so can't wait to get it put on
    Off for a ride now in its standard guise but should have a comparison next week with all the new bits and bobs on it :)
  • dereko
    Couple pics with the rs80's and now 3t ergonova bar and arx stem, and new deda tape :)r2GxXJP.jpg
    WYotuUR.jpg
    e2IOMtd.jpg
  • Like the upgrades and glad to see the pics, as these are the bars and stem I'm looking at for mine.

I recently put some Mavic Cosmic Elites on mine (new of a family member) a new ultegra front mech, Scott carbon bottle cage, new prologo black bar tape with white lettering and upgraded the cabling to jagwire so these may have to wait a while.

How you finding the bike? I'm loving mine, only had it a week but keep setting PBs on each of the usually routes I run, and it was much easier to get up those hills in the Ribble Valley at weekend.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • dereko
    Im really enjoying this bike matie, I actually plan routes with a tough hill to climb rather than shy away from them now
    The wheel upgrade didn't make a huge difference but I suppose the original aksiums were actually ok anyway, the shimanos are definately stiffer which I think gives a psyche edge ! Certainly feel erred when climbing and give better braking
    The 3t kit is very nice, the drops don't flex as much as the Scott ones and with the flat top section and taper to the hoods make them really comfy
    Still got to do final adjustments as they seem to be a slightly longer reach but are a definite improvement.
    I was toying with the idea of di2 but not sure if I can run internal cabling but I may well follow suit with the ultegra glossy grey kit as mine wears out
    Get some pics up when you go black tape as I was ging to go black saddle and tape on mine but bottled it!
    I have the identical saddle to mine in black on here for sale (shameless advertising !!)
    I
  • Hi, yeh I'll post some pics up shortly, I had a new 5700 group on my Spesh Allez sport, so I swapped it with the 5600 the Addict came with (mines a 2009 frame I think) but it had a band on front mech and the addict needed a Braze on, so I thought I would get the ultegra version as there was only £5 difference between that and the 105.

I may go for ultegra rear mech and crankset eventually, who knows. I've got the prologo black saddle with white highlights so it goes really well with black bar tape and white lettering.

The only difference I can see with my wheel upgrade is they spin easier at high speeds, which helps I suppose.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • If your just getting back into cycling stick with the 105! ui2 is a bit much, imagine one day giving up and then your left with a top end bike! Or go campy like me ;)
  • dereko
    Right I didn't manage to sell the black saddle so here it is on the bike with black fizik performance bar tape, (great stuff but needs a bit of wellie to get it on !)
    As before
    r2GxXJP.jpg

And now
    v1wNyfI.jpg
    Any comments welcome, still undecided myself... Only did it because I was bored today with the snow and wind so couldn't go for a ride !!!
  • dereko
    Re the comment about sticking with 105, you make perfect sense but I must admit that I, like anyone, am a kit monster! If its shiny and new then I want it! Hence the garmin mount for my new 800 :)
  • dereko
    Thought it was time for an update....
    Lots of miles and lots of ultegra bits have now gone on, selle italia SLR with a deda seatpost.
    And most recently a set of vittoria open corsas.
    Haven't ridden the tyres as they only went in today but looking forward to it
    K6vGTFR.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice bike
    Fellow addict rider here I have the RC with Di2 great bikes. Here's a jumbled pic of mine I'm having a shift round at the moment.
    DSC01660_zps4683915b.jpg

Nice shot...