Trek/GF FSA Headset (not E2)

dmorton
dmorton Posts: 244
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've got a Trek/Gary Fisher Cobia 2011 and the bottom bearing race in the headset needs replacing. It rusted solid! It's cleaned up ok and will probably work again for a bit... but will need attention sooner or later

I've got two options:

1. Replace the bearings

2. Replace the whole headset.

For option 1, other than stating it's FSA, I can't find out from looking at it what model the headset is (it's not E2). Trek list it as 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2011/archive/cobia.... if I can get a replacement bearing race for a couple of quid then I'll do that. Otherwise if the race is pricey then replacing the whole thing will make more sense.

Does anyone know what bearing race I need?

Or are there any suggestions for a replacement headset?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics, if cartridge bearings just replace them cups can stay. if caged balls new headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dmorton
    Caged balls... is that what semi-cartridge means?

Re-greased and put back together. Will look into getting a new headset fitted then. Don't have tools to do cups myself
  • dmorton
    After a bit of looking around, the headset that's currently on the bike looks a lot like the FSA No. 11 here->http://www.davehinde.com/mountain-bikes/fsa-no11-n-semi-integrated-headset.html. The stack given by the top cap is quite large and I need the replacement to have this much height too.

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement with cartridge bearings?

A Hope headset might be the top choice for fit and forget but it doesn't have the height on the top cap. Any others to consider?
  • nicklouse
    dmorton wrote:
    Caged balls... is that what semi-cartridge means?
    nope, read parktools.

cheap and old design headsets balls in a cage running in the cups.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    dmorton wrote:
    A Hope headset might be the top choice for fit and forget but it doesn't have the height on the top cap. Any others to consider?
    then add spacers.