Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting general

Garmin Edge 800 - postcode search ?

VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
I have a new garmin edge 800 and have downloaded the talkietoaster maps to my device.
My question is, can i input post code searches ?
Also, any way to get better looking map displays ?
Living MY dream.

Posts

  • VTech wrote:
    I have a new garmin edge 800 and have downloaded the talkietoaster maps to my device.
    My question is, can i input post code searches ?
    Also, any way to get better looking map displays ?

    Have you got the map you downloaded enabled? and the other disabled?

    Your map should look like the OSM
    6957725908_717e05e1b9_c.jpg
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    I kind of saw the maps for a second then I think ive done something wrong and now i cant view maps at all.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    I now have exactly the same image as you have in the bottom pic.
    What next ? :)
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    I now have exactly the same image as you have in the bottom pic.
    What next ? :)

    Menu "where to"
    Select "addresses"
    spell or select country
    spell city or postcode
    shazam
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Im having no luck.

    I do this;

    Menu "Where to"
    Select "Addresses"
    Select "Spell Country"
    Enter "united Kingdom"
    Select "united kingdom"
    Select City
    Enter postcode

    Get error "No Results Found" "Try adjusting search parameters"
    Living MY dream.
  • Needs a space IIRC
    Try something like A12 3 rather than A12 3BC

    By the way it is rather flaky, this has nothing to do with the maps but rather the garmin firmware
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    tried that and still no good.
    i appreciate you sticking with me on this, its doing my head in :)
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    tried that and still no good.
    i appreciate you sticking with me on this, its doing my head in :)

    Here is a slide show of a sequence of screenshots
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/freezing77/sets/72157632633665880/show/
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Thanks for that, the problem im getting is that it wont accept anything written in that section relating to a post code, i just get the error message.
    Im wondering if i have installed the maps correctly.

    I downloaded the toaster maps and in the maps visable section to select i have "velomap_gb_25.01.2013 enabled.
    Living MY dream.
  • I will give the talkytoaster maps a try. I am using the openstreetmap direct from the source

    Can you give me a link to the map you are using?
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    http://talkytoaster.com/130118-British- ... APSUPP.zip

    i dont mind using yours if it is better or at least works :)
    Living MY dream.
  • agg25agg25 Posts: 619
    Postcode search on the garmin 800 is rubbish, especially for such a simple task. I had a heap of problems too, even with the base maps, so it's not a map thing. I did get it working (it's totally not intuitive)....but it's been so long since I did it I can't remember off the top of my head.
    Now I tend to plan the route on the PC using biketoaster and upload the gpx to it, but if you're on the go and need to search...
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    I think its the worst gps ive ever had.
    I have the maps loaded yet I cant even navigate to a local address as it doesnt find it wtf !
    Living MY dream.
  • okgookgo Posts: 4,368
    Did you ever resolve this?

    I too get the same message you do, its not a big deal, but if it can route me round majorca surely it can find a censored london postcode?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    okgo wrote:
    Did you ever resolve this?

    I too get the same message you do, its not a big deal, but if it can route me round majorca surely it can find a ******* london postcode?

    no, i cant really use it for much more than a paperweight.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Just spoke with Garmin who told me that the item i have at £399 does NOT come with mapping as it is the special edition model (blue and black) and so needs a further £75 spent on it so that i can use the thing. WooHoo !!!!
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 22,087
    OSM maps do not always have post code searching available - it depends if someone has included the data or not. This is the trouble with all Open Source software.

    The Garmin maps I ve got (not the OS ones, the Garmin ones) work fine, just as a car GPS would do...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    ddraver wrote:
    OSM maps do not always have post code searching available - it depends if someone has included the data or not. This is the trouble with all Open Source software.

    The Garmin maps I ve got (not the OS ones, the Garmin ones) work fine, just as a car GPS would do...

    But with any car gps ive ever owned I can simply add an address and press start and off I go yet with the garmin it is hit an miss if it even finds an address yet alone a post code.
    Living MY dream.
Sign In or Register to comment.