Brands and makes galore! But which are good?

willspilsbury
willspilsbury Posts: 10
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey folks,

I'm just about to get back into mountain biking (aged 30) after not doing any for about 15 years.

I've got about £400 put aside to buy my first bike with, and I've seen loads I could get for such a (relatively) low amount.

BUT! I have no idea what makes are good and what aren't? Berg? Carrera? Scott? Voodo? Diamond? NS Bikes? Fuji? Corratec? GT? Rockhopper?

I mean the list seems endless and I've got no idea what makes are good and what should be avoided at all costs.

All I want is a good enough bike to start the hobby off with. I'd like to do plenty of riding down country lanes, some tow-path stuff and definitely some off-road at Llandegla Forest for example. Then, if I find I really like it and am making great use of the bike, I'll start to save up for an even better one (e.g. £800 to £1,500).

A lot of forums (even this one) have articles pointing me straight to just a select few but what if I see a bike in the sale or something? Maybe last year's model, that was £500 but is now £300. How do I know if it's any good or not? Espeically if it's made by a company I've never heard of, like Berg or Scott or something.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 'brand' just usually refers to the frame - and is not often made by the stated manufacturer anyway. What makes the difference at this price point is the suspension fork.

Have a look at the Decathlon range, can't go wrong for value, or the Voodoo bantu, or Carrera Vulcan.
  • I would just stick another £100 in the pot and get a Hoodoo. I was in a similar position, in that I was returning to MTBs after a lengthy absence. It really is all the bike you will need for a good few years before committing to something a few hundred pounds more, and I suspect, if you've been out of the loop for fifteen years, what difference would you notice, ride wise, to something more costly. It will do everything you ask of it. ie. fire trails, tow paths, road work and re-introducing yourself to manic downhill. I grin like a twat every time I take it out, not just the ride, but the fact I didn't part with hard earned for something that was beyond my abilities. Anyway, just a thought.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Its pretty hard to find a really bad bike at your price point these days. Saying that you wont go wrong with a Carrera in my opinion.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I would just stick another £100 in the pot and get a Hoodoo. I was in a similar position, in that I was returning to MTBs after a lengthy absence. It really is all the bike you will need for a good few years before committing to something a few hundred pounds more, and I suspect, if you've been out of the loop for fifteen years, what difference would you notice, ride wise, to something more costly. It will do everything you ask of it. ie. fire trails, tow paths, road work and re-introducing yourself to manic downhill. I grin like a fool every time I take it out, not just the ride, but the fact I didn't part with hard earned for something that was beyond my abilities. Anyway, just a thought.

+1 Hoodoo
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • MaJeeKa
    MaJeeKa Posts: 24
    +2 hoodoo
  • Mbuk this month has a £500 budget bike test, may be worth picking up a copy and having a look through, - picked it up and flicked through in tesco,
    a lot of choice and is really down o findig one that Feels right, dont let the heart purchase the first one you sit on!! try a few out and see what takes!!!
    halfords are quite handy as thy have voodo and carerra on display inmost stores, may take a visit to a coupl eof other bike shops for the rest b alwas worth a visit as often find one Over budget reduced to clear! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • I was told by lots of people to steer well clear of Halfords. They told me that they only do cheapo bikes that fall apart in a month or two. And not knowing what's a good make and what isn't, I couldn't agree or disagree.

I can really only go up to about £400 - it's gonna be almost impossible to justify £500 to the other half, just in case it's something I only have a dabble at and don't actually get my money's worth out of.

So if I can pick up a great bike which has an RRP of £500 for £400, well that would be perfect.
  • supersonic
    You've been told a lot of rubbish - listen to the experts. The Carrera and Voodoo bikes use parts much better than the opposition as they cut the middle man out of the buying equation.

But also look at the Rockrider 8.0 from Decathlon.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Voodoo Bantu is sub £400, still has the same forks as the Hoodoo, Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and some reasonable kit although the tyres are pants, it seems they cut the spec heavily in just a few places to save money, the rest is pretty much the same as the much dearer Hoodoo.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I see! Well thanks for that.

I've heard lots of people mention Voodoo bikes now, so it seems like they're definitely worth looking into.

I'm off to several shops in the Stoke-on-Trent area tomorrow to find out what size frame I need so by this time tomorrow Ishould know a lot more.

Thank you for the help so far!
  • supersonic
    Frame size depends on the model, it isn't a universal fit. But try as many as you can.