Right hardtail it is - which 29er

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a 29er hardtail to take up the duties of my 140 full sus.

My riding is only trail centre, peaks and general XC nothing gnar! Just the occasional jump / trail drop offs.

So thinking of getting a 100 / 120 hardtail and selling the sus.

Current list

Steel - solaris, Skookum
Al - whyte 929, Kinesis ff29.
Carbon - Cube reaction, one one lurcher

£2500 budget

Cheers

Comments

• mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    Hi, would have liked your budget when I went from full suss 140mmm to a 29er but I limitted it to £1000, I spent ages looking at spec and looking for reviews with little luck. I picked a whyte 629 in the end and I must say it is excellent with your budget I'd look at the carbon whytes if my experience is anything to go buy you wont be disapointed. I havent rode my susser since getting the 29er. Much better at climbing and still good coming down. The sussser is likelyto just come out for the wilder rides. Good luck
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Really like Whytes, but no sure about Al any more, despite that's all I have ever had !

How does it manage with roots and trail chatter?
  • mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    Still experimenting with tyre and air pressures at the moment but it does ride through the tech stuff nicely. biggest thing I noticed was rock gardens are taken as if they are nothing more than a few little pebals! I don't get any chatter even on the loose and stoney down hill sections. The top spec aly why're 29er I think it's a 929 comes with a 1x10 set up which I am already thinking Of converting mine to. I
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs