Chain lube - what is your choice

2»

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    zx6man wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    nolight wrote:
    I use WD40 as a cleaner, not a lubricant. It removes stuff.

You were quick, but I was really expecting some real abuse within a couple of minutes.

WD to clean the chain and 3 in 1 or GT85 to lube it.

Just check out sites like KMC, they say just wash the chain, then lube, no need for solvents and the like, claims it removes the oil on the inside which will bugger a chain up in no time.

My chains on an 8 speed are cheap enough to replace anyway.... probably cost more in fancy cleaners/lubes :-)

I've been cycling for 20 yrs and do thousands of miles and this works for me, I use KMC chains at the mo and I get good mileage from the SLs and Ls. After every ride I give the chain a blast of WD and wipe down, then I coat with 3 in 1 and wipe the excess off, everything runs sweet and the changes are smooth, if it didn't work I wouldn't use it.
  • Bozman wrote:
    I've been cycling for 20 yrs and do thousands of miles and this works for me. . . After every ride I give the chain a blast of WD and wipe down, then I coat with 3 in 1 and wipe the excess off, everything runs sweet and the changes are smooth, if it didn't work I wouldn't use it.

Me too mate, except in my case it's more than 30 years (gulp!!) and my regime is like yours and works a treat. I also use Finish Line green as well, but 3-in-1 works just fine. It's what my filthy hardworking commuting bike gets after every wet ride and although it's rarely clean (probably like you, I have a life) it's mechanically perfect.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Finish Line Dry.

This. All year round.
  • I usually clean my chain in white spirit and once dry I give the whole chain a good spray with gt85 to protect the side plates and then I apply shimano ptfe lube to the rollers individually.
  • Finish Line Dry wax preferred after using FL Wet for ages it attracts too much road crud. Anything is better than nothing provided you clean the chain properly on a regular basis.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Blue Morgan Race Oil for me.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Vinnyc19
    Vinnyc19 Posts: 202
    Rock N Roll lube
  • njd37
    njd37 Posts: 162
    Was using finish line dry all year round, but now switched to finish line ceramic. Seems to work better for longer
  • I've been using Squirt wax lube for a while, seems to last really well, and is a lot more durable than other wax lubes. Gets a really good review on here and other cycling sites.

I tried ProGold (not the Xtreme), but after one 85 mile not rainy winter ride my chain sounded like it had mice trapped in it. Works alright in the summer though.