Headset spacers

mactedder
mactedder Posts: 21
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I bought my Cannondale CAAD8 105 last autumn and absolutely love it. I bought it over the Internet and was delivered part assembled. I have been thinking recently, what is the correct setup for the headset? Mine currently has 4 spacer rings installed which is how it was delivered.

Is there a way of knowing wether I need this many? I'm 6ft with a 56" frame.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    as with other adjustments, saddle height, setback etc., correct bar height depends on the individual

not only height and limb length, but also flexibility, riding style and intent

unless the saddle is already correctly set, bar height isn't worth fiddling with

if you don't have bike fit measurements to base things on and you aren't finding the bars too low, you can try taking out some spacers, but it takes time to adjust to changes, bear in mind what you find ok on relatively short rides may not be so good on long rides
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you feel too upright and they are all currently under the stem you can take then off and put them on top.

You can have some top and some bottom to get the height you desire.

Once you are happy with the height you could eventually get the steerer cut down rather than have spacers above the stem if you do not like the look.
    Yellow is the new Black.