Whyte E120XT rear hub problem

rjones24
rjones24 Posts: 5
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Whyte E120 XT (2010 I think)
The rear hub is a shimano WH M 775 hub.

I have ridden possibly 200 miles on local trails and the odd visit to Welsh trail centres, so it was working fine.
Then on my local loop it tightened up and stripped the nut off the axle that holds the "big gripper" attachment on the ends of the hub.

When I took it apart to replace the axle (thinking that grit had got in and seized it) everything went back together fine. Then the centre lock brake disc to 6 bolt adapter tightened up onto the cone dust cap making the bearings tight and stopping the wheel spinning freely.

I have removed the dustcap. This stopped the initial tightening problem on the cone dustcap.
But the wheel is still 'tight' with pressure on the bearings.

I then thought that I'd put it in anyway and see if it loosened up with a few revolutions.
The brake disk is rubbing against the Avid calliper adapter/bracket.
I have moved the cones on the axle to try to change the spacing, but this didn't work.

I think that something may have shifted within the hub but not sure what or if I am right.
I'm definitely sure that I can't work out what has gone wrong.

Does anyone know what the problem might be, is this a common problem?
Or am I just stuck with buying a new hub and wheel re-build?

Thanks
Rob

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you have not got the hub parts in the right order/place

download the exploded view from shimanos webby and do it again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I only removed the axle (and bearings) and replaced it like for like.
    It didn't help so I'm assuming it's something inside the hub rather than the axle and bearings.

I also had the shimano tech document in front of me at the time and copied it exactly.

Of course I may be wrong and have done something wrong that the more mechanically minded may spot.
    I generally get away with most maintenance problems without a problem(with the help of parks big blue book and youtube) but this has got me stumped.

I'm at a complete loss.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Start again. You are assuming infallibility. Few of us are.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope nothing else. but strip it all down and account for all the parts.

99% of the time it will be a washer the wrong way around.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks guys,

Back to the garage then.