Light wheels 26" for XC riding

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Are there any suggestions for light wheels (size 26")that will be for a Giant Anthem. Currently has standard wheels on the bike which are SC2 wheels.

Price would be around £250-300 for wheels which would also be of good quality.
Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Anything from Superstar that fits the budget. Usually the Trizoid/Superlegerra hubs on Crets rims.
  • mikeyj28
    supersonic wrote:
    Anything from Superstar that fits the budget. Usually the Trizoid/Superlegerra hubs on Crets rims.
    Thanks supersonic.
    How do the superlegerra hubs fare in comparison to hope or shimano XT cup and cone?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I prefer the XT for the servicability ans smooth rolling, but they are a bit heavier. Wouldn't have Hope, too much for the mediocre performance.
  • mikeyj28
    supersonic wrote:
    I prefer the XT for the servicability ans smooth rolling, but they are a bit heavier. Wouldn't have Hope, too much for the mediocre performance.

Is there a noticeable difference in weight between the XT and superleggera?
    I also used to have a set of Mavic XC717s. WIll there be a reasonable difference in weight loss from the 717s?
  • I have a pair of wheels, XT hubs with 717s and mine have been very reliable. However they aren't at all light coming in at 1940g. Partly that's because if you request 6 bolt hubs in the build you tend to get the older m756hubs which are heavy. (Mine were from Merlin).
    By comparison my spare wheels have SLX centre lock hubs and 317 rims and are fractionally lighter.
    My Shimano hubs still spin smooth but that's because I know how to look after your them and to adjust cup and cone bearings. If left un serviced it is easy to write off the hub which you can't do with cartridge bearings.
    The Superstar wheels Supersonic mentions would be well worth a look.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, the Superstar Stans offer is excellent at that price. ActionSports.de have some good offers too, little bit more though.
  • mikeyj28
    njee20 wrote:
    Yep, the Superstar Stans offer is excellent at that price. ActionSports.de have some good offers too, little bit more though.

Thanks njee

Are these the ones that you mean from superstar?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=497

What is the funworks hub like (such as below) as i'm not familiar with them?

http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Wheels/Wh ... 50806.html
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep those, or just these. Bit heavier, but cheaper.

Funworks hubs are Actionsports own, IIRC they're made by Novatec, as are many other brands (Superstar included).

These are lighter than either SS set, but in the middle price wise, or push the budget a bit and go for these.

Or... get some A2Z hubs, some Stan's rims (Crest or Alpine) and some spokes (Revolutions or Super Comps) and either get your LBS to build them, or DIY. Be about £300 and 1350g.