iTunes

smoggysteve
smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Just updated iTunes for the first time in ages. WTF have Apple done this time? I cannot make head nor tail of where anything is. Are these people on a crusade to fu@k up everything Steve Jobs achieved?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they have just made it the save over all platforms.

so they say.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I can't say I like it, but it is the first time I've updated itunes and noticed any difference! My main concern is why do they bring out new pointless updates every other week?
  • Just updated iTunes for the first time in ages. WTF have Apple done this time? I cannot make head nor tail of where anything is. Are these people on a crusade to fu@k up everything Steve Jobs achieved?

I was exactly the same. I found a couple of Apple tutorials that talked you through what's changed and they were surprisingly helpful. They stopped me sticking my fist through the screen anyway :oops:
  • JackPozzi wrote:
    I can't say I like it, but it is the first time I've updated itunes and noticed any difference! My main concern is why do they bring out new pointless updates every other week?

Have they ?

Don't think so ....... and updates are rarely pointless.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    JackPozzi wrote:

Have they ?

Don't think so ....... and updates are rarely pointless.

Sorry, to clarify, the updates generally serve no benefit to the way I use itunes and so to me, they are pointless. But it does seem that every time (admittedly not a very frequent occurence) I plug in my ipod to transfer some music across, there is a new update available.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    The first thing I did was go - View -> Show sidebar.

Then click on the descriptions under the progress bar.

Songs - Lists all tracks as per the old version. Mine is sorted Album by Artist

Albums - Albums Covers (large Icons) sorted album by artist

Artists - All albums sorted album by artist showing the cover art and all tracks.

The most useful one is Songs. Right click on the header and you can edit the display as before.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I love the new iTunes. It's just, well, more Appley ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    daviesee wrote:

Artists - All albums sorted album by artist showing the cover art and all tracks.

The most useful one is Songs. Right click on the header and you can edit the display as before.

Yep did very similar, lost without the sidebar.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    Just updated iTunes for the first time in ages. WTF have Apple done this time? I cannot make head nor tail of where anything is. Are these people on a crusade to fu@k up everything Steve Jobs achieved?
    Couldn't agree more. Needlessly complicated!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I got a new PC recently and installed the latest iTunes (11) without having read about it first. 20 minutes later I was googling for the 10.7 installer. 11 seems like a major downgrade, with some features (like Cover Flow) cut for no good reason, and the interface annoyingly re-designed as more of a shop window than a media player. Maybe time to check out the alternatives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... d_managers

I'd stay with 10.7, but eventually someone will find a security vulnerability that Apple will only patch in 11.x.
  • I dislike Apple and hate itunes. :|
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have gone back to 10.7 for my music server, No Cover flow on the new version a serious problem for me
    I have 11 on my laptop.
  • daviesee
    FatTed wrote:
    I have gone back to 10.7 for my music server, No Cover flow on the new version a serious problem for me
    I have 11 on my laptop.
    I keep hearing this but genuinely don't understand it.
    Coverflow was a nice graphic display but if you have a large library it was not very useable. If you have a small music library, I will understand but if not, why do you have a serious problem?
  • JackPozzi wrote:
    Sorry, to clarify, the updates generally serve no benefit to the way I use itunes and so to me, they are pointless. But it does seem that every time (admittedly not a very frequent occurence) I plug in my ipod to transfer some music across, there is a new update available.

There you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history Your 'seem' seems to be a bit of an exaggeration;)

No insignificant reasons there - bugs to be fixed, new hardware to be accommodated. If you don't plug in very often then obviously you are more likely to see an update.

I too found the new interface confusing for a couple of days but at least its getting more consistent across platforms, and of course what is good for the majority isn't necessarily for one person.
  • JackPozzi wrote:

There you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history Your 'seem' seems to be a bit of an exaggeration;)

No insignificant reasons there - bugs to be fixed, new hardware to be accommodated. If you don't plug in very often then obviously you are more likely to see an update.

I too found the new interface confusing for a couple of days but at least its getting more consistent across platforms, and of course what is good for the majority isn't necessarily for one person.

No some of them are pointless to a lot of users - if you're on a mac you get a list of updates and you can click on the, for example, itunes one and see what the update entails - the past few have been to accomodate mountain lion and fanny about iwth the cloud - not sure if you get the option to see what the updates mean on a pc but on a mac its much easier to decline if the updates serve no purpose to you.

Anyway if you want to see bothersome apple software have a look at xcode - one minute you have to buy, next you don't, one minute updates are on the website, next theyre not - I'm glad i'm on my vic 20 (that's victoria applebaum of 38 crawshaw road stoke - she only charges 20 pound an hour.) :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • FatTed
    daviesee wrote:
    FatTed wrote:
    I have 11 on my laptop.
    I keep hearing this but genuinely don't understand it.
    Coverflow was a nice graphic display but if you have a large library it was not very useable. If you have a small music library, I will understand but if not, why do you have a serious problem?

I like to look at the album cover whilst the song is playing
  • daviesee
    FatTed wrote:
    I like to look at the album cover whilst the song is playing
    Click on the tiny thumbnail that does come up.
    What you get is a pop up album art about the same size as overflow but it is not just album art. Hover above and full commands appear. You can even increase the size to full screen should you wish.
  • FatTed
    10.7 simpler thanks
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I dislike Apple and hate itunes. :|
    Good for you! The rest of us love it, so off you trot ....
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    After the initial WTF moment I think the new format is a big improvement. It even managed to recover a couple of albums that I lost three years ago when I had the old laptop stolen and they weren't on the backup.

Bob
  • smoggysteve
    What stopped you downloading previous purchases before this update? that's nothing new.
  • can anyone tell me why tunes appear in the list on my PC, but it cant find the tracks?

how can i sort this (with your help)?
  • smoggysteve
    Were they on an external device from the HDD
  • yes - indeed -

how can i unify them in one spot?
  • daviesee
    yes - indeed -

how can i unify them in one spot?
    You have 2 options.

1. iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> "Copy files to itunes Media folder when adding to library".
    But this will possibly clog up your HD depending on the amount of files and space available.
    2. Plug in the external drive when required.

I can't see there being a third option.
  • thing about having tunes on an external is that the drive is dynamically allocated a letter - first time you use it Itunes might look for E drive, stick a usb in and the E becomes F and your tunes seem to disappear - the longwinded way for me was to go into the management thing and change the external drives letter - lot of faffing so ended up getting a third internal HD.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Also, if it can't find the drive letter it has (or at least had) an annoying habit of silently reverting to a default iTunes directory on your system drive, instead of complaining about the 'missing' external drive. My podcasts got split across a couple of drives this way before I realised what was going on.
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    daviesee wrote:

Hey, pal, thanks for that first suggestion. 8)
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations