Cube bike sizing

Padster
Padster Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I'm new to the forum and just getting into mountain biking. I've been looking for a decent starter bike and settled on the Cube Ltd Pro 29er. The problem I have is that I'm not sure about sizing.

I'm 5' 9" with a 32" inside leg and whichever sizing guide I look at they seem to recommend an 18" bike. Cube's 29ers come in 17" or 19". My thinking is that with a 29 inch wheel the frame will be smaller in top tube, down tube etc to accomodate the bigger wheels so a 17" would be the equivalent of an 18" 26er (which I currently ride). Am I on the right lines or would the larger frame be more likely?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Comments

• devbrix
    devbrix Posts: 127
    I've a 29er Cube Reaction GTC Pro 17" and a 26er Cube Stereo HPC 18". I'm 5'10" with 31" inside leg and they are both fine. Best to try and sit on and ride one if possible, Cyclesurgery stock Cube if you have got one near you.
    If the worst comes to the worst you can always move the saddle and shorten the stem etc.
    Hope that helps?!
    All of these things....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The geometry of the bikes is listed on their site, ie relevant tube dimesnions.
  • Conversely I have a 31" inside leg and ride a 20" frame as I have a long body. Recommendations are ok as a guide, but it would be worth sitting on one to get a feel for it.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Thanks for the help folks.

Devbrix - particularly helpful as I guess I really wanted to know how 26er sizes translated into 29er.

LTL - totally agree about sitting on them. The cubes seem to be very popular and it's really hard to track down a bike in the right size to try!! I've tried an 18" 26er which seemed about right.
  • Probably should clarify that when I bought mine, I tried both. Could have got away with an 18 with a longer seat post, but as a xc bike, it worked better in the larger size for me.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Padster
    Padster Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    In the end I went for the Cube Ltd Pro 29er 19". I love the bike andafter a few weeks with it I'm certain I made the right decision.

The only thing I would change is the Rapid Rob tyres. The only place they're really performing well is hard packed trails. Just show them a bit of mud and you're going sideways. I don't get why manufacturers fit this kind of tyre as standard...unless they're assuming the buyers are mostly going to ride them on tarmac!

Very pleased with the level of kit on this bike too. I did my research and couldn't find any other make that came close for the money.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    You should check the effecticve top tube lenth. the hotizontal distance from the saddle to to the grips. You can always move the saddle up or down a bit.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20