help!!! whats it called..?

delcol
delcol Posts: 2,848
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Please can anyone help me out here..
last year in mbuk not sure which one sept oct nov or dec i seen a tool for fitting the brass insert into the brake hose i can't remember what it is called or who makes it..
i got some new shimano xt brakes for christmass and i need to shorten the hose when i fit them, i remember seeing this tool that make fitting the insert eassier, can anyone help me a link would be ideal or the name/manufacturer of the tool..
the bit i mean is this

thanks..

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what the yellow hose blocks that should come with the brakes and or the bleed kit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The little yellow block don't come with OE brakes (which Merlin are selling). I've seen them on Ebay though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Ey'up Col. Pretty sure i've got the blocks / bits needed, i'll check in the garage and let you know.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have the yellow blocks for gripping the hose.. they came with the brakes.. i just remember seeing a specific tool in the mag that made the job easier.. (i dont have a vice) when i done this job on my other bikes i normally just use mole grips and tap the insert in with a plastic mallet..
    but i just wanted to see how much the tool was hence the question..

dam why did i have to throw all my old mags out the other week....
  • nicklouse
    mole grips and the blocks simples.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Surely you don't mean this?

£35.95 for a tool your hardly ever gonna use is quite a waste of money. Especially when you can get the same job done with mole grips, blocks & a soft hammer. It doesn't even have a recess for the hose so you can cut it straight.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • nicklouse
    Surely you don't mean this?

£35.95 for a tool your hardly ever gonna use is quite a waste of money. Especially when you can get the same job done with mole grips, blocks & a soft hammer.
    and will not work with any avid ones and they screw in.
  • Good job the OP has Shimano brakes then ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • austy
    austy Posts: 5
    I have a Jagwire Needle Driver used for both push in and screw in hose inserts.

Got mine quite cheap on ebay about £10 if you can find it.