Rear freewheel mech's

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Been told by the local bike shop 'The freewheel mech' is knackered,
Are these hard to come by or are they different as per manufacturer, just ive been waiting for a month now.

Its a Specialized hub and mech with a mavic rim if that helps.

Comments

• They need to decide what is actually broken... is it the freehub or the mech (derailleur)?

I'm assuming they mean freehub which is replaceable, surely your shop can get a new freehub in? To be honest I would be hunting out a new hub/wheel (depending on which model Mavic rim you have for the viability of building it onto another hub if you are paying for this to be done), the Specialized rear hubs don't seem to be particularly loved and the cost of a freehub would be a healthy chunk towards a better hub/wheel.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    talk to a Spesh dealer to sort it and tell you what is actually wrong.

I am guessing the freehub is dead.

hub specific.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    The guy has said its the freehub, as a temp job the unit from my workbike has been swapped to my MTB (both Specialized just years apart).
    Does it HAVE to be a Spec item (i presume he is looking for) or can I go find another and upgrade.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well it is hub specific so any from the same hub would do. but that depends on who made it and who for.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown