A bit stiff?

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I've just got the bike out for a quick blast after the snow and turning the crank by hand it feels a bit stiff. Is it just the cold affecting the lubrication? Can't say I've noticed this before.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Do you store the bike in a warm place or in the shed? Could be the lube viscosity had changed or water has frozen in the seal around the BB (WD40 or similar after last ride can help prevent this) Also worth checking to see if there is any detritus around the seals
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Do you store the bike in a warm place or in the shed? Could be the lube viscosity had changed or water has frozen in the seal around the BB (WD40 or similar after last ride can help prevent this) Also worth checking to see if there is any detritus around the seals
    And also wash out your lube,! So maybe not such a good idea unless you plan to dismantle then re lube. As was previously mentioned I hate it when someone puts up a totally useles post! Oh sorry thst was you Steve well there you go.

OP whip it off give it a clean and check for play, if all is well re grease, use plenty it acts as a water barrier, then put it back together. Dont use WD40 as this will just clean away your grease. Realistically 20 min job for some peace of mind and a clean and lubed BB
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    No it won't, the seals will prevent a squirt of that going in. It's not like a high pressure hose. I've been doing it for we'll over a decade with no problems.

Must say newTTer, I've not heard your poisonous comments for a while. Happy trolling.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Grease in bearings will change viscosity fairly significantly as temperatures approach zero. If the shed isn't dry or the bike is put away wet you'll also likely get a bit of water absorption in your lubricants; if this is happening then the lubricant will change viscosity when the water component freezes.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,340
    You're just a stiff Peddle Up. Whats this dubious post supposed to do hmm?
    See, if you hadn't spent all that time over the festive period down the Bathurst Arms over indulging and drinking too much cider, you wouldn't be in this state of.... Hang on. I know why your stiff - its Rigor Mortis.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    You're just a stiff Peddle Up. Whats this dubious post supposed to do hmm?
    See, if you hadn't spent all that time over the festive period down the Bathurst Arms over indulging and drinking too much cider, you wouldn't be in this state of.... Hang on. I know why your stiff - its Rigor Mortis.

Nicked!!!! :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)