Cycling in/around Paris

chorltonnick
chorltonnick Posts: 19
edited February 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I have a week off work in March and am considering taking my bike on the Eurostar to Paris and then spending four days in the city. I've been plenty of times before so don't need to do much sightseeing. Instead, I was thinking of going out for two or three bike rides.

However, does anybody have any experience of cycling in Paris? I'd attempt to stay near Gare du Nord station so I can literally wheel my bike off the train and to my hotel. So, how far do I need to cycle out of Paris before I'm in the countryside?

The other consideration is that I'd be going mid-March. Not ideal weather (avg 11 degrees, quite possibly wet). I wonder if it's even worth it?

I'd prefer Spain but want to get somewhere that requires limited dismantling of my bike (hence the Eurostar). I'd prefer not to trust airline baggage handlers.

I could always fly to Spain and rent a bike out there, but it's nicer having your own bike isn't it?

Nick

Comments

• Why not cycle from London to Paris and then catch the Eurostar back? Quite a popular thing to do, so there's loads of information on the internet.

I've done this in the past, which is a lovely route. The only tricky bit is the British side.

Cycling in Paris was pretty hectic. Quite fun at the end of the London to Paris trip, but I personally wouldn't base myself in Paris for a cycling holiday.
  • Hmmm, let's see,

a) cycling in Paris in the cold and the rain, risking life and limb at every step and paying high prices for just about everything

b) cycling in southern Spain in the sun and dry, nice empty roads, bargain prices.

It's a tough one!
  • Hmm, when you put it that way... No contest! Thanks for your input.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    edited January 2013
    Been a couple of times...Once did Paris to Dieepe folowing the Seine via Versialles and Rouen .Two years ago made specific visit to go on four guided rides around Pariss with a company called called FATTIRE which I have used to see several cities Berlin Barcelona etc..They meet under the Eiffel tower each Day and have a website. About 20 Euros a tour with bike.About 2 groups of 20 on each ride.with bike provided..(they get all sorts on them. Some of the Moscow Ballet were on mine)Paris by day Paris by night Versailles and Monets Gardens are the 4 Tours.They let you hire for Diy after.Maybe go on at least one of these to see what you are up against DIY.Like most cities nowadays Paris is nore and more Bike Friendly.with cycle lanes but Roads aint the smoothest.inc the Champs Ellyees..
    http://fattirebiketours.com/paris
    jc
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    jc
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I rode through or round Paris last year. Its crazy. Read the first day.
    http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63550.0