Hub size question

stb99
stb99 Posts: 6
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, I hope some more experienced cyclists than I can help with a hub size question.
I've got an old road frame I want to convert to single speed, and need some new wheels for it. The distance between the inside faces of the rear dropouts is 124mm, so which hub size do I need when I'm ordering my new wheels? If any kind-hearted cyclist wants to earn some brownie points, now's your chance! :wink: Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like it should be a 120mm O.L.D.

Any ID on the frame so it can be checked? As in make and model?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stb99
    stb99 Posts: 6
    Thanks for the quick reply nicklouse. The make is Nord France, I know very little about it as I found the frame in a shed I was helping clear out. The internet research I've done suggests that the bike is from the 1970s and was nothing too special even then! But it should be good for a runaround. Aside from a few tatty 'Nord France' decals the frame has no identifying marks or serial numbers.
    As a final question, would a wheel with a 120mm O.L.D hub size also have room for a freewheel to be added and still fit inside dropouts that are 124mm apart?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds that the frame is made from steel and therefore you'd have few concerns fitting a 120mm SS hub and nipping it up to take 2mm on each side. A singlespeed freewheel would sit inside the 120mm hub dimension as standard chainline is 42mm from the centreline
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..