Saddle bag fit.

SPOC
SPOC Posts: 109
edited January 2013 in Road general
Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, I have two of these saddle bags http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_273905 on one bike it's not a problem, on a another it is, a new bike I just purchased.

Where the bag clamps on to the rails underneath, there are like two brackets, which sit at the back of the rails. However this means you can't bring the saddle anywhere near towards the 'max' setting as it means the clamp gets it the way and stops it moving any further forward.

I need to move it forward about another 15mm and that still won't put it anywhere really near max setting to get a more comfortable saddle setback.

I probably haven't explained that very well!

The main question is, does anyone use any different ways to attach a saddle bag other than the standards bits that come with it? I know it's only a small thing and I could get a couple of new saddle bags with a different fitting, but it's really starting to piss me off!

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Seat packs.

Saddle bags are entirely different and only belong in the Touring section ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    Three possibilities that I can see.

If not already, run a zero setback seat post, this will allow you to get the saddle further forward yet remain more central on the seat post clamp. This is potentially quite expensive.

I think Topeak make different brackets for these bags to be used on different saddles. Best bet would be to check LBS who is a Topeak dealer. Will cost around £5

Or use the strap on version of this bag that doesn't require the clip and is therefore flexible to fit almost any setup. May require purchase of new bag or exchange if you haven't used current one.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Use your back pockets. Saddlebags are things fat middle aged women complain about.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Can you attach the bracket to the upward sloping part of the saddle rails at the back?

ellj might be right about the different brackets as well - have a look on Wiggle; I think I've seen them there. Somewhere on the net anyway. If you can't find them on the internet, they don't exist!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I have that bag too (well, the medium version I think), and I have the same problem. It's because the saddle rails diverge as they go up to their attachment points inside the back of the saddle. If you move the saddle far enough foward, the bag clamp is trying to clamp to rails that are too far apart.

The bag clamp works the same way as the saddle clamp itself, so of course, if the rails are too far apart to fit in the recesses in the clamp, it's impossible to do up.

I mostly got round this, although not perfectly.

- I got a couple more mm by filing the pointless ridge at the front of the clamp until it was completely flush with the main body of the clamp.

- I did it up by having the bag clamp as loose as it would go without falling off, and then moving the saddle forward. Once the saddle was clamped in place, I did up the bag clamp - it no longer fitted properly around the rails, but it does stay in place if you do the allen bolt up good and tight.

If you've done all that, you aren't going to get another 15mm without different bits.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • SPOC
    SPOC Posts: 109
    I have that bag too (well, the medium version I think), and I have the same problem. It's because the saddle rails diverge as they go up to their attachment points inside the back of the saddle. If you move the saddle far enough foward, the bag clamp is trying to clamp to rails that are too far apart.

The bag clamp works the same way as the saddle clamp itself, so of course, if the rails are too far apart to fit in the recesses in the clamp, it's impossible to do up.

I mostly got round this, although not perfectly.

- I got a couple more mm by filing the pointless ridge at the front of the clamp until it was completely flush with the main body of the clamp.

- I did it up by having the bag clamp as loose as it would go without falling off, and then moving the saddle forward. Once the saddle was clamped in place, I did up the bag clamp - it no longer fitted properly around the rails, but it does stay in place if you do the allen bolt up good and tight.

If you've done all that, you aren't going to get another 15mm without different bits.

Cheers Chris, will try this in the morning, as I say it's driving me nuts!

If this doesn't work will buy some cheap bits to attach it differently, if not, will just stop being such a tight arse and buy one that fits! :lol:
  • m4ttc
    m4ttc Posts: 41
    I used to have this issue. I just used a decent cable tie run through the holes on the bracket and the seat rails. The too half of the bracket was then redundant. Did the job for me

I think the Velcro version might be better though
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I used the strong plastic cable tie method as well, less weight :roll: but also fits as you want it. Been on bike like that for over year so plenty secure as well.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!