Your saddle is uncomfy - how do you select a new one?

nawty
nawty Posts: 225
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
I've been wondering this, if your saddle isn't comfy is it possible to identify why and then can you use that to help choose another one or do you just try more in the hope of finding one that is?
Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight Tiagra

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Go somewhere that measures you're sit bones and loans saddles to try
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nawty
    Just found this article on BR, it's good reading :)

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... bly-30179/
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • Try different saddles, that's about all you can do.
    I had my sit bones measured on a bike fit and selected a new seat from that. My arse still hurt so I then went through about 7 saddles before I found one that was comfy. Hopefully you have a friendly LBS.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i tried a couple before finding i liked the sella italia gel flow, i think its the groove cut out that helps me, but everybody is different
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The Charge Spoon is often quoted as being 'the one'. I have an as new one in white that you could have for £18 inc post if you want to try it.

Fizik Arione is another 'this is the one'. I use this and it works for me but they are about £70 - £150 depending on model and deals available.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Anything Fizik is pretty well comfy love mine.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    The search for "the" saddle is one that can take years, I am still looking for a saddle that is comfortable over 50 miles. Everyone is individual and will find different saddles comfortable for them.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12889894

Get down your local bike shop and talk to them. Some have systems for measuring your sit bones. Fizik do bright yellow test saddles that you can borrow from a participating shop. Specialized do a 30 day swap guarantee.

Another alternative is a guy on this forum that has started a business "renting" out saddles so you can try any model you wish. See http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12883890
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The charge spoon is not for everyone, myself included. Don't think just because it's cheap it's going to be good ....
  • Stanley222 wrote:
    The Charge Spoon is a great place to start though - £20 ish brand new! Don't let the price put you off its miles better than some 4 times its price!

Count me in as another Spoon devotee; I like mine very much. We all come in different shapes and sizes, and I certainly couldn't rule out the possibility that I might like a Fizik more, but for the price I paid it is one of the best investments I've made in my cycling.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    It may not be a case of the saddle being wrong, or not suited to you. Having had a bike fit with Adrian at Cadence Sport, I'm convinced saddle comfort is dependant on bar set up more than saddle design. I was amazed that, as I was pedalling a turbo, Adrian could put pressure on different areas of my saddle just by changing bar angle and hood position. I accept that some people with have wider sit bones etc but if you're going through endless saddles trying to find "the one", spend the money on a bike fit instead.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • nawty
    I'm actually perfectly happy with my saddle, just thought I'd ask :)

In fact I've been happy with both the saddles that came with my bikes (Selle San Marco Ponza Lux and a Prologo Scratch Pro), I guess I'm just Mr average who I assume most bikes are designed for.

I may just try a Charge Spoon 'cos they're cheap and I'm half thinking of building a bike which it could go on after - would probably need to be black though but thanks for the offer smidsey :)
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    what happened to the guy on the forum here starting the Try-a-saddle business? Great way to try out an expensive saddle before committing to buy it. The only way really is to try a few from a good LBS as what works for one person is painful for another. I also found trying to get a saddle that didn't make me numb, that a mm or 2 adjustment of the saddle position and angle can make the difference on a ride.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    nawty wrote:

In fact I've been happy with both the saddles that came with my bikes (Selle San Marco Ponza Lux and a Prologo Scratch Pro), I guess I'm just Mr average who I assume most bikes are designed for.

I may just try a Charge Spoon 'cos they're cheap and I'm half thinking of building a bike which it could go on after - would probably need to be black though but thanks for the offer smidsey :)

I have a grey Spoon going spare if you're interested
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    nawty wrote:

Mine came with a San Marco Ponza and its absolutely fine. So good I bought another (in celeste rather than white) and put the spare white one on the tandem, which had a rather poor stock saddle on in.

Will echo the above though, even the comfiest saddel will hurt if its in the wrong position and you end up resting all of your weight on it. Hands, feet and arris should share the load.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    keef66 wrote:
    nawty wrote:

I have a grey Spoon going spare if you're interested

....me too, concidering they have a good good reputation, there seems like theres quite a few for sale.

Was dissapointed in mine and only lasted 2 rides.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Choosing a saddle is a pain in the ar53

(See what I did there???)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I must be one of the only people who is happy with my stock saddle on my hybrid and happy with my replacement for my stock that came on my road bike.

Undershorts help any ball problems.

My upgrade came down to price - it was about £15 IIRC Selle Italia Flow - with cutout. Great saddle.

Personally I think if you are having issues with your saddle it is more down to the way the bike is fitting you.

Seatpost height and position of the saddle make a huge difference.

I had terrible problems with lower back pain. Moved the seat forward a couple of centimeters - problem completely eliminated!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    My upgrade came down to price - it was about £15 IIRC Selle Italia Flow - with cutout. Great saddle.
    Are you missing a zero off the end of that price?
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I was quite happy with the stock Scott saddle on my S30 I bought in September, until I got rollers for Dec to try keep up the fitness in the short days and bad weather, and started scaling up to longer rides. The rollers were making me numb after 25 minutes so I thought I'd try a selle C2 with the centre groove cut out. No good for me, it was too flexible longitudinally and my weight pressed the nose upwards so i was sitting in a bowl, quite uncomfortable after 5 minutes. The rollers seem to concentrate the comfort or lack of, in a much shorter time span than road riding where its easier to keep shifting your position. Well maybe not easier, but it happens naturally due to terrain and speed differences. I then got a very friendly LBS to loan me a Specialized test saddle, a Phenom. While the centre groove was definitely stopping the numbness on the rollers, it was not comfortable on the sit bones. I then saw a nice Specialized Toupe on ebay with Ti rails and took a punt on it. After a couple of sessions adjusting the tilt I felt in a short space of time on rollers it was miles better than anything else for me. First reasonable ride out on the road with it today and I cannot speak highly enough about it - really solid, stable, slim and comfortable. You really have to try a number of different ones for yourself, its the only way. Setup is so critical too and can make the difference between a good saddle working for you and something that is too painful after 30 minutes, so you need a good friend who knows what they are talking about, or a good LBS to assist. Paying a lot of money is no guarantee of comfort.