What frame size?

chrisbielby
chrisbielby Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi everyone

I'm knew to cycling and new on here, so apologies if I ask some stupid questions.

I'm thinking of getting my first proper road bike (probably a sportive-type) and was looking at sizing. I'm 6' 3'' so I assumed I'd need a big frame (at least 58 cm, maybe 60cm +). However, I only have an inside leg measurement of 33'' - 34'' and according to the sizing guide I looked at, I'd need a 54 - 55cm frame. Is that right? Do I have freakishly short legs?

Any advice on sizing much appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    A 54 or 55 seems too small. Go to your lbs, ask for an opinion and try out a few bikes. This is how you measure inside leg for cycling purposes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _-zpSXQzsA
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Sounds freaky to me
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Its probably more important that you get the top tube length right, of course you can fit a longer stem, but anything over 130mm and the handling is shot,

With regards to seat tube length then its probably better to extend this with a 400mm seatpost , but as you have stated you dont really have that long a legs so it wont be too much of an issue that the drop between the seat and stem is too extreme.

Definitley test ride, but I d say you need at least a 60cm frame, the good point is that larger frame sizes tend to be heavily discounted if you go for a 2012 model as they are harder to shift, you could end up with a lot of bike for your money.
  • Hi.
    I am 6' 3" with 34 inside leg. I have 2 bikes. A TREK series 1000 Al frame bought from Evans ( they were very helpful with deciding which bike to buy.were I bought a 61cm frame (straight top bar.).I could have got away with a 60mm or 59mm frame. My other is a Boardman Team Carbon which has a 58.5cm frame (ex large-biggest they make). I have no problem with either. On the TREK I changed the bar setting by using a longer stem and turning the bars up a little. On both the saddle height has been adjusted both but the distance from BB to the top of the saddle is the same on both bikes.
    I hope this helps