Wilko Johnson - an inspiration

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited October 2014 in The cake stop
Anyone hear Wilko Johnson on Radio 4 this morning?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21187740

The guy's outlook in light of his recent diagnosis with terminal cancer is an inspiration - instead of receiving chemotherapy he books a farewell tour instead. He talks about his diagnosis making him realise that what is actually important is the current moment and that regretting the past, or worrying about the future is a waste of time - some really uplifting stuff in the interview about how he now feels "vividly alive".

I feel like I learned something today...
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    yes, I listened to that too. Inspirational. What a great attitude to life.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I haven't listened to it yet but i can say that everyone on their finals says that the now is the important time and we, as a whole, don't realise that whilst living, and bad health free.
    Peter
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    edited January 2013
    Wilko is a local to me, and Dr Feelgood are still highly thought of round here.

Really sad news about Wilko but he looks like he wants to go down all guns blazing

I've got a ticket to see him on his farewell tour at the Koko in Camden (Mar 6th), it's going to be an emotional evening.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I saw Dr feelgood in the Fforde Grene in Leeds a long time ago.
    I also saw Wilko at the warehouse in Leeds probably about 25 years ago.
    Sad indeed.
    Peter
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Thanks so much for the post. The full interview is/ was on tonight's Front Row (R4). Such an important antidote to the modern trend to go for quantity of life to the detriment of quality and dignity. Bravo.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I love his words "I am a feather for each wind that blows and the wind's blowing me this way now. But yet I still retain this marvellous feeling of freedom"

You're so right, truly inspirational indeed. What a performer the man is.
  • An inspiration indeed. I hadn't even heard he was ill :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzF0AETdRF8

As brilliant as he is unconventional.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • "Johnson explained he was given nine or 10 months to live"

If I was him I'd take the second option and ask for 2 months this summer, 3 months the next spring...and so it goes on :lol:

Pancreatic cancer is the cnut of all cancers - its a virtual death sentence and if you look at how much is actually spent as pecentage on researching a cure for it it is criminally pitiful.

There was an excellent documentary on him and his beloved canvey island on beed 4 I thnk last year, if anyones wondering why his spirit will be a huge loss check it out.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    A man for whom the expression "diamond geezer" must have been invented. Very fond memories of Dr F. Let's hope St Peter doesn't get to trip over the longest guitar lead in the business just yet.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Heard him on Front Row last night, what he said was damn near poetic.
    I've seen him performing a dozen or so times and finally got to photograph him last spring.
    What a man, what a star.

7295630590_d6b517f30d_z.jpg

7295630852_76b937a4fc_z.jpg

7295631468_46270b9585_z.jpg

7295631690_d0fd975ec1_z.jpg

7295631944_206dcbc60a_z.jpg

7295632218_61c42d0d6c_z.jpg

7295632428_75caa7f94e_z.jpg

7295633134_299b4934aa_z.jpg
  • Peddle Up!
    Fantastic Graham. Nice to see the lead in the photo. :D
  • graham.
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Fantastic Graham. Nice to see the lead in the photo. :D
    Yes, the flourecent curly lead became something of a trade mark, never went over to using radios. :D
  • Snakbar
    Snakbar Posts: 33
    Tried to get tickets for the last shows but unfortunately they were sold out in all the venues. Anyway one thing before I go, Don't let your daddy know..
  • Peddle Up!
    Snakbar wrote:
    Tried to get tickets for the last shows but unfortunately they were sold out in all the venues. Anyway one thing before I go, Don't let your daddy know..

Snap. Back in the Night... :(
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sad news but I've never forgiven him for chopping Ned Starks head off.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Brought a tear to my eye. Very sad.
  • Peddle Up!
    Brought a tear to my eye. Very sad.

How could it not? No more heroes.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    yes, very sad - he always seemed close to his fans - and his beloved canvey island - but if he can save a bit of energy and spread a bit more of undimmable joy - great man.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25949374

just seen this on the BBC website. Wilko not only still going strong but just recorded a new 10 track album with Mr Daltrey. Fair play to him :D looks as though music and a healthy dose of positivity/outlook is keeping him going (and, seemingly) remarkable happy with his lot.

...the guy continues to be an inspiration....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • +100 - this thread shouldn't die.

Maybe I will get to see his 'farewell' tour after all.

Great photos from Graham.
  • Good, if short, interview with Wilko & Daltrey on BBC 6 Radio this morning. Looks like they are going to play a one off show together. Wilko's guitar playing is one of the the most easily recognisable I've heard, packed full of frantic energy - brilliant.
  • graham.
    bartman100 wrote:
    +100 - this thread shouldn't die.

Maybe I will get to see his 'farewell' tour after all.

Great photos from Graham.
    Thanks.

He played as a guest in Norman Watt-Roy's new band late last year.
    Here he is with Norman and my promoter mates. :D

12217874623_f8b9b10e64_o.jpg
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Whilst I do agree that Wilko is quite inspirational to listen to in regards to his condition/illness. Nobody has quite made me laugh and smile with a tear in my eye as much as Steve Evans over the last year. Sadly his 'journey' came to an an end a couple of weeks ago.
    His Twitter feed was steveevans51. He was quite often on Richard Bacon's show on Radio 5 Live and was interviewed two days before he passed. An amazing fellow who we could all learn much from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-25757028

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/steve-evans-death-brave-dad-3030552#.UuuKpfl_ttE
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Peddle Up!
    Graham. wrote:

Snap! Fingers crossed for the old trooper.