Changing from triple to double with bash

Huck Finn
Huck Finn Posts: 157
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. I have a 2010 Stumpy Expert with a Shimano XT triple up front. As all of my riding these days is trailbound, the outer ring is somewhat redundant so i plan to change the outer for a bashring and fit a chainguide. Does anyone know what fitting my frame is? Does it have those ISCG fittings?

I'm thinking of a Blackspire bash and one of those stinger guides. Will this work before i spend the cash?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it does you'll be able to see them. But.you already have a guide. The front mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    This is what an ISCG mount looks like:

iscg_mount.jpg

If you have one, then you can use an ISCG mount Singer/guide. If not then you will have to use a BB mount guide and replace one of the spacers on your BB.

I use a Blackspire C4 Bash and Stinger and they are both very good at their jobs. You may need longer chainring bolts for it depending on the thickness of the bash.

This is mine here:

IMG_1150.jpg

Thats with a BB mount Stinger. The bash has replaced the outer ring and I required 16mm bolts for it as it's a thick one.
  • Huck Finn
    Huck Finn Posts: 157
    Cheers! Didn't know what the ISCG thigs looked like. Think i'll have to use the BB fitting. Oxocube, those pics are helpful, i can see how it should work now.

Cooldad, if i'd called it a tensioner, someone would have quickly told me it doesn't add tension. Can't win...
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    cooldad wrote:
    If it does you'll be able to see them. But.you already have a guide. The front mech.

what he said dont see the point of a tension/guide if your using 2 chainrings and still have a front mech ............
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you got on fine with a triple using just a front mech, all the double needs is a front mech!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.