ULNA nerve problems after around 15 miles - please help

HeatherMillsLeg
HeatherMillsLeg Posts: 90
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
As thread title.

Have done a search but not coming back with much. Please advise if I am missing.

It's only after about 15 miles and is always on my left hand (I'm right handed)

I have no other pains on the bike, haven't had a fit as can't afford it! Probably because I am lop sided. Never knew until recently that the opposite foot to your dominant hand is often bigger.

Apart from a bike fit - any suggestions please? I'm guessing it is just a slight adjustment needed somewhere but don't know where to start.

Thanks

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    this nerve supplies the little finger, if you get tingling you may have trapped/pinched the nerve this can happen by leaning more weight on one arm than the other. As it's on the underside of your arm when cycling maybe you are resting part of your arm or wrist on the top of the bars. Does it happen if you are on the drops?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Specialized cycling mitts (which are my favourites, incidentally) are apparently designed to protect the ulnar nerve; there are others as well. What gloves are you using at the moment?
  • team47b wrote:
    this nerve supplies the little finger, if you get tingling you may have trapped/pinched the nerve this can happen by leaning more weight on one arm than the other. As it's on the underside of your arm when cycling maybe you are resting part of your arm or wrist on the top of the bars. Does it happen if you are on the drops?

Thanks for the reply. No it doesn't when in the drops. Just stretches my back quite a bit. Not painful but don't want to be riding distance in that position.

"Specialized cycling mitts (which are my favourites, incidentally) are apparently designed to protect the ulnar nerve; there are others as well. What gloves are you using at the moment?"

The cheapest ones I can afford TBH! I use just supermarket ones when warm enough but am using some Altura Night Vision waterproof ones now.

It usually starts around 15 miles in then I have to either "shake it out" or get onto the top of the bars - not the hoods.

No other pain so it's quite irritating - thanks for the advice anyway.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    You might be putting too much weight on your hands - flipping the stem and/or adding some spacers will bring you more upright and take some weight off, should help some.
  • JamesEs wrote:
    You might be putting too much weight on your hands - flipping the stem and/or adding some spacers will bring you more upright and take some weight off, should help some.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is worth a try I guess if I even have an angle on the stem.

It annoys me as I have no aches or pains on any other part - apart from my left hand after miles mentioned.

I think it can only be that I am lop sided.

Back pain has been a lot more painful (before I made adjustments to my seatpost and seat aft) - this is just irritating as I have to ease off and "shake it out" until I recover.

Guess it's not a biggie but makes me wary of Sportives - which I want to enter.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    95% of self diagnosis are wrong
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

100% of people who post pointless and unhelpful rubbish on the internet have tiny penises.
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    + 1 for that, but shut up is well known for it, wxxxxx
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

100% of people who post pointless and unhelpful rubbish on the internet have tiny penises.
    That will also apply to you with your first post then.

Buy some decent gloves rather than the cheapest supermarket ones, and move your hands occasionally, its not difficult
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    JamesEs wrote:

This is a good place to start looking for sure. Doesn't take much, but sitting a little more upright can help dramatically.

It being in one hand only, also check whether you are actually straight on the bike (as daft as it sounds), saddle, bars, even cleats if you use clipless, any of these might be causing you to twist even a mm or two on the bike.

Do try some different gloves and then also make sure you move around on the handlebars when you ride (spend time on the hoods, the flats etc.).

I have suffered the problem very badly, and flipping the stem helped dramatically.