Is my frame too big?

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Brand new to all this and have bought my first road bike, the cheap and cheerful triban 3 (cue the remarks!). I am a whisker undersix feet tall and after sampling various frame sizes settled on the 60" version. I have been out several times for gentle 15-20 mile rides and have encountered no aches or pains as yet. My concern is that I am taking part in the Wiggle Cheshire Cat (62 mile version) towards the end of March and after reading several posts I am starting to think I have bought a bike that's too large! Any advice/comments would really help. :?
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    It's hard to know as body proportions vary but a 60cm does sound too big. Unless you are very oddly proportioned I would say a 56 or 58cm would be more normal for your height but I don't know what the sizing of the Tribans is like.

As for comments on the bike, you won't get any negatives on here as that bike is probably the most regularly recommended bike in that price range on these forums and seems to have a very good reputation.

A picture of you on the bike with your one leg at full stretch will give a better idea on the sizing.
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    Long torso and average size legs but I'll try to get a picture uploaded as you suggest.
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • It might be as I am 6 foot 1 and ride a 56cm and I think I am fairly average proportions.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    You'd have probably been better off with the 57, but the long torso works in your favour. If you're feeling too stretched then you can fit a shorter stem.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    The triban sizing seems a bit odd I'm just over 6'1 and I ride the 63 triban, in reality this is nearer to a conventional 58cm bike (about a 58 ctc seat tube and c57 ctc toptube), so a triban 60cm may not actually be that far off for you. I don't have a really low front end and long seat post on mine (so there is room for manouvre with the headset spacers) and it's turned out fairly similar in fit to my decent ribble and my very decent Roberts. I did however think the stock triban had a very long stem on it, the 63 one was 13 cm's so I binned that for a 11cm one. If your bike fits (saddle height, bar height and stem length) and is comfortable I wouldn't worry about the frame size too much
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    kilo wrote:
    The triban sizing seems a bit odd I'm just over 6'1 and I ride the 63 triban, in reality this is nearer to a conventional 58cm bike (about a 58 ctc seat tube and c57 ctc toptube), so a triban 60cm may not actually be that far off for you. I don't have a really low front end and long seat post on mine (so there is room for manouvre with the headset spacers) and it's turned out fairly similar in fit to my decent ribble and my very decent Roberts. I did however think the stock triban had a very long stem on it, the 63 one was 13 cm's so I binned that for a 11cm one. If your bike fits (saddle height, bar height and stem length) and is comfortable I wouldn't worry about the frame size too much

I'm 6'4" and have the 63 triban yet I'm almost certain I'd buy a smaller size when I next upgrade. My lower back tends to ache after about 25 miles and I already have a shorter handlebar stem.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I'm going to say yes
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    Brand new to all this and have bought my first road bike, the cheap and cheerful triban 3 (cue the remarks!).
    You mean the remarks made by so many people on this forum that the Triban 3 is good value and a great way to start cycling on a budget?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    Brand new to all this and have bought my first road bike, the cheap and cheerful triban 3 (cue the remarks!). I am a whisker undersix feet tall and after sampling various frame sizes settled on the 60" version. I have been out several times for gentle 15-20 mile rides and have encountered no aches or pains as yet. My concern is that I am taking part in the Wiggle Cheshire Cat (62 mile version) towards the end of March and after reading several posts I am starting to think I have bought a bike that's too large! Any advice/comments would really help. :?

You have done 15-20 miles with no aches and pains which would suggest you are actually fairly comfortable. Try longer distances and see how you feel. At the end of the day fit is very personal - A friend of mine has a 57 top tube and is only 5ft5inches - yet the bike causes him no problem! A 60 is huge for someone just shy of 6ft but it seems to be working for you.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    I'm 6'4" and have the 63 triban yet I'm almost certain I'd buy a smaller size when I next upgrade. My lower back tends to ache after about 25 miles and I already have a shorter handlebar stem.

Imho if your saddle is at the right height and the bars at the right distance and drop, the size of the frame in between these points isn't, for general riding, going to make masses of difference to your comfort. An outrageously large or small frame may have poor handling traits but I would suggest it may not be the cause of your back ache. (and also being a back ache sufferer I share your pain and hope it clears up)
  • I have the (nearly as) cheap and cheerful Triban 5. I'm your height (6') and settled on the 57cm frame in the shop. It feels plenty big enough for me, but I'm all legs with a shortish body so maybe that's why.
    As mentioned above, if you're comfrotable on it then I wouldn't worry too much.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    A picture with you aboard would help us to criticise (sorry I mean advise).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    You should judge based on your riding instead of posts on a forum.

When I bought my bike I went through the same process. I was fitted by the shop but was convinced my frame was too big. I've got a 36" inseam which makes for an interesting saddle height. I put a shorter stem on rode it for about 3 months and was getting aches and pains, put the longer stem back on and actually found I was more comfortable stretched out.

Try doing more miles and see how you feel.