Planet X A-57 wheel hub

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,315
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Got this wheelset last year and have been very happy with performance. No spokes broken, still true etc.

Twice I have changed the cassette for various reasons. Each time I take it off the hub body seems more damaged. It has big gouges in the notches of the body that the cassette slots onto. Does that make sense? I can post a picture when I get home.

It looks like the cassette is just gradually eating into the hub body as the cassette is a harder metal. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Can I prevent it somehow?
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• It's normal with alloy cassette hub bodies. They tend to get to a certain point and slow down eating in.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    ^^Yep.

Shimano intended their freehubs to be steel (or Ti), but a lot of third parties use alu, which gets chewed up.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    Ahh ok. Thanks guys!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Normal...
    You can buy a freehub with anti bite guard on the BDOP cycling website, but I am not sure which model novatec your hub is and which freehub it requires... I guess Novatec type A... But it is just a guess. Best to ask PX people if they know?.. Not cheap either
    left the forum March 2023