upgrading giant reign to dh??

muzbike
muzbike Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
hello just looking for advice on up graiding the sus on my bike to more of a downhill set up, and wanting to get the part just now as there is a few good deals just now on parts being the jan sales.

Am planning to change the standerd forks and shock.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... ifications

forks to these.
Rock Shox Boxxer RC Coil Forks 2013
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=85113

and shock to this
Fox Suspension Van RC Rear Shock 2012
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=93379

I don't know how interchangeable these parts are with whats on my bike already, and from what I can make out am pritty sure that shock just wont fit.

I got the bike last year for a clearence price, and thats why I have not just got a dh bike and plus i need and want the gears!

So could anybody with the know how tell me what else I'd need to buy to make these parts fit e.g hubs, brake caliper mounts etc......, or say its to much hassel and going to cost heeps.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH I would not even bother.

and for DH you will need to lose the gears at the front

shock will have to be the same spec as the old so all that you would do is change from air to coil you would ...

i would not bother.. find a used DH bike and service it and have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    TBH I would not even bother.

and for DH you will need to lose the gears at the front

shock will have to be the same spec as the old so all that you would do is change from air to coil you would ...

i would not bother.. find a used DH bike and service it and have fun.

i thought that might be the case, but i already own a road bike and this mtb, so adding a third would cause dramas with the other half (who has a mtb also but not massivly into it but likes easy mtb trails), but buying parts and lying aout price would go pritty much unnoticed........... ;)...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    then sell it.

i would not even start with it, it is really too short as well.

we did this to a faith in 2006 and that was a longer travel frame to start with. and was still not an easy ride.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've slapped a Boxxer onto a Reign X and it works well for DH. I've also put in a Works angleset to get the HA down to 65. I'm not convinced that it'd make much sense to move to a Boxxer with a standard Regin though, the RX 6.7 at the back barely holds its own against what the Boxxer can handle.

I think the shock you posted is too long. It's too long even for the Reign X.

Why do you need wide gearing on a bike modified for DH? With a Boxxer, and proper fattyres, it will ride like a pig on anything except steep down terrain, not to mention all the chain slap and likely destruction of the big chainring anyway. Just go 1x9 or 1x10 and put on a bashguard.

BTW, you also void the warranty on a Reign or Reign X by running a dual crown.